1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    d00bie

Newbie Beginner-Haro Ally XC...Questions, advice, comments plz..

Hey guys, I recently became a member on here and have a few questions. Soo, im beyond an avid hiker, if i catch a couple hours in my day, you can catch me in the woods. Recently, i reckon ive caught the Mountain Biking bug, and im really getting infatuated with it as i do more and more research along with looking at bikes.It just seems like absolute fun, and rather than hiking, you can double, triple, quadroople your trip length and have so much more fun IMO. Ive been to a couple LBS's, some have been not so informative, and one in particular I love and im 100% sure im going to take my business there, but, i think id like some "outside" opinions, if i may.
    I live in NC, 15mins from Bent Creek, Mills River and Davidson River, 3 National Forests are within 30minutes...So theres def no lack of riding here, its like MTB mecca lol.
    Now, that being said, im 6'4, about 165lbs soaking wet lol...I know for a fact i want/need a 29er, its a given. The HIGHLY rated and LBS i love sells Haro, KHS, Santa Cruz, and one other brand i think...Now, mind you, my only background of bikes is that i used to live in FL, and when i was a kid, it was "The cool" mode of transportation, if you had a cool bmx bike back then, you were cool lol.
    Im an entry level rider, but want a bike that can take abuse, and def room for flexibility...Im positive i will be jumping anywhere from 1ft-5ft, so i dont want my bike to buckle under me, there will be A LOT of trail riding, lots of climbing, lots of downhill, lots of jumps...Id like something i can upgrade as i go on and have fun with. Unfortunately, im not looking to spend more than 1k on a bike, which to me is pretty reasonable and it seems like I can pick a super decent bike up for that much...
    I was recommended the Haro Ally XC, I like the bike itself, i didnt sit on it however but rather talked to the shop owner for a solid hour which was really good, he was super informative. Ive been tryong to do some research on the bike, and find very little.
    My buddy has a Haro, not sure what model it is, but hes a little heftier than myself and he says he loves it, has taken it off multiple jumps, etc.
    Does anyone have any knowledge on the Haro Ally XC? Any recommendations bike wise, suggestions? Advice? I know Haro has been around forever, and theyre truly good bikes, but since im just getting into MTB'ing, id like to weigh my options.
    I went to the LBS today, and rode the Ally XC around for a little bit and it felt really good, the only downfall for myself is that it has an 80mm fork, which i dont want, i know for my heighth and durability i need a 100mm, so the owner generously said hed be sure to come up with something to make it work, which i like. The owner is beyond super cool and super down to earth.
    Im open to any and everything as im just getting into the sport and would love to learn more and more. Im sorry if this is the typical Newb question thread, but i figured its a start.
    Thank you guys very much.
    Im just looking for opinions, possibly experiences, stories, general advice.
    Thanks guys, lol bare with me, im just learning!

Professional Speed Bump
    Well, I don't know much about Haro bikes. But if your LBS has Santa Cruz, I would probably steer you towards that. If you're planning on chucking the bike around, I think a Santa Cruz Heckler or Nomad depending on how much thrashing you plan on doing (they are both AM bikes with Heckler on the lighter side) would be good choices.

There's other models that I would recommend like Superlight and Blur, but they are more focused towards XC and it sounds like you will be doing some heavy duty stuff.

They can get a little pricey but you really can't go wrong with a Santa Cruz bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0