mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Newbie back into it

Figured I'd say hello, I'm pretty excited to be getting back in shape and having fun while doing it. I hate the gym...it's just awful.

A while back in the early 00's I had a steel rigid that I rode around DC. I had no problem riding down stairs and occasionally jumping the stairs if I had enough speed to clear and the height wasn't too great. On one occasion I bent the handlebars down. I think that was from poor landing form though...

Around 2006 I needed to commute a few miles back and forth to work, but I knew my penchant for riding outside the lines. LBS set me up with a Specialized Crossroads if I remember. Sold it to me more as a "street attack" kind of bike. Given the terrain and route I had, I didn't do much jumping, but I did enjoy hopping curbs and going down the occasional very short stairs. It ended up being perfect for my commute in Morristown, NJ.

So now, I'm coming out of riding dual sport motorcycles. Just got a 2014 Trek X-Caliber 8 on closeout for $850. I'm suffering from upgrade-itus as I call it. When really what I should be doing is riding it. Haven't had a chance yet. I plan on doing the really tame trails around Austin just to get my bicycle senses in shape again. I also plan on doing my motorcycle trails around town once I learn the bike a little. Some of the trails can be pretty gnarly. I'm worried that I didn't get enough bike for what I might want to be doing. I also know that I haven't ridden anything yet and this is all pure speculation. However I do know my secret trails still exist and I NEED to ride them again since I'm going crazy.

I guess my question is this. What's it gonna take to crack this frame? I am 190 lbs. 180 when I hit the gym.

This is the best bike I've ever owned and everything on it is a HUGE upgrade for me. The only thing I see that I might be too heavy for is the medium spring in the fork. I am right on the edge for Rock Shox XC32 rider weight guide, and could go with a stiff spring. However if I lose some more weight...

I guess I'm just worried I'll crack it up the first time I decide to drop two feet downtown. Totally overthinking this I know.

Anyway, cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I also ride my bike for fitness. But i'm not racing or doing some downhill ride. i just cruise on highways and park. My main reason for biking is weight loss and for more than 4 years i lost 250 pounds. So why stop when i can maintain my weight and become more healthy.