1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Newbie!!!

Pressluck
    Jun 2008

Newbie!!!

Hey,

Just joined MTBR, but been riding for years. I've been a "lurker" for a week, and wanted to send my "props" & "respect" to the good folks at MTBR, since I just upgraded my cycling rig thanks to the many posts I've been reading and the active members who are passionate about MTBs in general.

The site has been of enormous benefit to me, and I've learned much, and it's helped me in my decision to dive deeper, throw down a serious chunk of change on a new MTB, and get into MTBing in full press mode.

More to come,

Pressluck

mtbr member
    I am new on here as well. I agree on the wealth of info, also most of the people on here are awseome and are spot on with advice.

Well any way welcome and good luck on your MTB.

Pressluck
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for your post. I've found the info on the trails in my area to be invaluable, and definitely subjective. But, informative nonetheless. Well, best of luck with your MTB experience as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    welcome both of you. i am rather new on this forum, but no newbie to the sport. i rode a bike from ***** sporting goods for nearly ten years and put countless miles on the trusty old steed. i have retired it, ***read-given to a friend*** and stepped up to the plate for a moderately equipped trek. that purchase is what fostered my interest in the forums, mainly looking for trails in my new area of residence. I have found that the folks who lurk on these sites have a vast bank of knowledge and experience to draw from. they have all been very nice answering questions and sharing that knowledge with others. so if a question arises, don't be shy. ask that question. you'll get an answer, and by god.... ride the wheels off them bikes kids. ride the wheels off them..
    Last edited by bschanz; 06-23-2008 at 06:42 PM.