1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Newb to the site, kind of new to MTB's

I worked in a bike shop many years ago when I raced BMX but that was back in the 80's. When I graduated from tech school in 92 I bought a Mongoose Hill Topper, it felt nice and comfortable, besides back in my BMX and freestyle days I only rode Mongoose's or GT's. Any how long story short in 2003/04 I decided to upgrade my bike to a F/S bike and I had bought a K2 Sidewinder FS(I have read the negative reviews on this board here today I only joined the site today). Well shortly after buying it my wife and I moved to NC where the only riding I did was on paved roads and it felt fine on pavement. We had recently moved back to Long Island NY and yesterday we went riding the trails of a local state park. If felt great to ride on dirt again a few fast sections(wife takes her time she is not one for riding fast). I noticed under hard riding that my derailleurs would start shifting gears without any input from my shifters, now I had ditched the stock grip shifters in favor of Shimano Rapid Fire shifters, I just love having the figure tip control of them. When we stopped for a break I tried making adjustments to them but they were lined up in the right gears when I checked them. I also noticed the rear of my bike was feeling darty like it was trying to slide out from under me. On our next stop I was going over it thinking the rear wheel may have been loose but it is the swing arm pivot that is loose and I noticed when the swing arm moves the chains alignment moves and was causing my shifting issues. Does anyone know how to adjust the swing arm on this bike I don't see any adjustments for it.

My wife and I are also thinking of upgrading our bike just not too sure when. Going by what I remember back years ago I am looking at Trek, Giant, Gary Fisher or GT's which would be a better choice. I am probably going to start the shopping process next week to get an idea of what feels good. I am not looking to spend fortune on a bike(I have a Mustang that sucks up alot of money)

Rogue Exterminator
    "Better choice" is a matter of opinion.
    Better price, more comfortable, better components, etc.

I have a GT Sensor 9r Elite, and for the price I paid new, it was an awesome choice.
    However, I found it on clearance for $1k which is half off the MSRP of $2k.
    It would still be a good bike at $2k.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's best to get out there and ride some bikes. Check for any demo days for on trail tests.
    A 29er HT can handle a lot. Try a Trek X-Cal or for more money a Stache 8.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Y Never mind - got all caught up in the shifting and missed the part about the rear end wobbling around.

sorry, no help.