1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

New question here. NewB question: IBEX Alpine 450 vs. Motobecane 600DS?

Hello everyone.

I'm pretty new to the MTB world, though I've ridden department store bikes since I was a kid and borrowed/rented a few intermediate XC HT bikes (Trek 4500, Cannondales). I am looking to pick up an entry level HT or FS, whichever I can get the most "bang for my buck" and have the possibility to upgrade components as I go along.

I've been doing some research and IBEX seems to make some great bikes. I especially like the Alpine 450 ($399) with the Deore RDerailleurs and Rockshox J-1 fork. Plus, it seems like everyone who owns this bike loves it (5/5 reviews on MTBR).

Alternatively, Motobecane (though now under new ownership?) seems to have some solid FS bikes, in particular the 600DS ($397) with 4" rear travel (RST shock) and RST Capa TL fork with 76mm travel as well as Tektro disc brakes.

I'd like something that can handle a wide range of terrain and usage (city commute, dirt trails, some jumping), and that is sturdy and upgradeable. Both bikes have the 7000 series aluminum frames and appear to be good buys. Any advice on which I should go with?

I am open to other suggestions also!

Thanks!! -Todd

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    Personally, I've never heard a bad thing about IBEX, although I've never handled one and I'm a touch hesitant to order a bike online. Fit is the absolute most important thing in biking of any kind. If you're comfortable with ordering online, tho, you're probably gonna get more bike for your dollar.

I'd suggest you stay away from FS bikes to start with. HTs are better to learn on, less maintenance intensive and lighter (read: less discouraging on long climbs). Plus, you're gonna get more technology and/or better components for your money on a HT bike. Check out as many different kinds as you can get your hands on, and buy the one that fits you the best.

For my money, Specialized has some great offerings at most price points. Their HardRock frames are bombproof and a good deal. Check them out if you get the chance. Almost any HT will handle what you're talking about (except big jumps), so just get something you're comfortable with and on.

Best of luck! Let us know what you decide to get into!

Ross
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU_Grad_121
    Personally, I've never heard a bad thing about IBEX, although I've never handled one and I'm a touch hesitant to order a bike online. Fit is the absolute most important thing in biking of any kind. If you're comfortable with ordering online, tho, you're probably gonna get more bike for your dollar.

I'd suggest you stay away from FS bikes to start with. HTs are better to learn on, less maintenance intensive and lighter (read: less discouraging on long climbs). Plus, you're gonna get more technology and/or better components for your money on a HT bike. Check out as many different kinds as you can get your hands on, and buy the one that fits you the best.

For my money, Specialized has some great offerings at most price points. Their HardRock frames are bombproof and a good deal. Check them out if you get the chance. Almost any HT will handle what you're talking about (except big jumps), so just get something you're comfortable with and on.

Best of luck! Let us know what you decide to get into!

Ross
    Thanks Ross...

What you mentioned seems to be what everyone is saying. HT bikes give you more for your dollar and all around are good to start with. The Motobecane 600DS was just one FS I came across that looked like it offered some okay components (frame, disc brakes, respectable shocks/fork) except for the drive system on the IBEX Alpine 450 offers the Deore rear derailleur which I like. I'll be sure to look into the Specialized HardRocks some more and go from there. Thanks for the input!

Yasco
    May 2006
    I'm riding an Ibex Alpine 450 and I can say that it is little lighter and has better components (derailleurs and fork) than Specialized Hardrock Sport. You can ask Specialized dealer to hang the bike on a scale.
    I must say that Hardrock Sport is better than most department store bikes. So, if you know your size (I am 5'9" and 17" Alpine 450 is the right size) don't be afraid to order online. Of course, we are talking about $400 bikes.

If you want to spend more, look for Alpine 650 (simply skip Alpine 550) and you will get bike that is comparable to Hardrock Pro Disc ($710). If you can get a Hardrock Pro Disc from a dealer for $600 that would be a good deal. Again, having better components and disc brakes is needed only if ride in the mud and wet conditions or highly technical terrain.

Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasko
    I'm riding an Ibex Alpine 450 and I can say that it is little lighter and has better components (derailleurs and fork) than Specialized Hardrock Sport. You can ask Specialized dealer to hang the bike on a scale.
    I must say that Hardrock Sport is better than most department store bikes. So, if you know your size (I am 5'9" and 17" Alpine 450 is the right size) don't be afraid to order online. Of course, we are talking about $400 bikes.

If you want to spend more, look for Alpine 650 (simply skip Alpine 550) and you will get bike that is comparable to Hardrock Pro Disc ($710). If you can get a Hardrock Pro Disc from a dealer for $600 that would be a good deal. Again, having better components and disc brakes is needed only if ride in the mud and wet conditions or highly technical terrain.

Enjoy the ride!
    Hey thanks for the info and its good to hear from someone who is riding the bike i'm looking at. I agree with you fully and I think just the driveset (deore rear) alone is worth getting the Alpine for. I'm 6'1" 175-180 range and the Alpine 450 19" should suit me (I like the added maneuverability of 19 vs 21). I actually just went ahead and ordered this bike so wish me luck! Can't wait to take my first run!

thanks again!

Fat, but working on it...
    I second (or third, or whatever) the vote for the Ibex. Everything I've heard about them as been good. As for Motobecane, I have heard mixed reviews. Some guys I ride road with have them. One loves his. Two others hate theirs. They did a little research and apparently with Motobecane, you either get a nice, quality ride that you don't have to worry about, or you get a big pile of junk that you have nothing but problems with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I would go for the IBEX. Better to learn on, and you get much more bang for the buck going for a HT over a FS at $400.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would highly reccommend IBEX. They are by far the most bang for the buck and they offer outstanding support and assistance with sizing, setup etc.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Thanks All!

Thanks for all the replies and votes of confidence guys! I went to my LBS and checked out a specialized hardrock but it seems that IBEX does offer a better rder and fork on the apline 450 and the specialized would cost be about 100 bucks more. I took everyones advice and ordered an Alpine 450. It should be here by the end of the week so I'll keep everybody posted on how it turns out!

-todd

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by tako99
    Thanks for all the replies and votes of confidence guys! I went to my LBS and checked out a specialized hardrock but it seems that IBEX does offer a better rder and fork on the apline 450 and the specialized would cost be about 100 bucks more. I took everyones advice and ordered an Alpine 450. It should be here by the end of the week so I'll keep everybody posted on how it turns out!

-todd
    Awsome you will love your Ibex.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Learn

I have a Motobecane 600 DS. It is a good solid ride for about $500. Don't listen to those others. Get a FS! You will have much enjoyment jumping curbs, etc.. Personally, I doubt that I'll ever encounter a mountain in Manhattan. But, there are plenty of potholes!

True: FS is a bit heavier. But that's what gears are for!

Ride Daily!

Scottsensei

AZ
    banned
    Serious ? A 500.00 dually ? Over a pretty good hardtail ? A bit heavier ? I think that these other guys would vote you off of the island .

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This thread is so old.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottsensei
    I have a Motobecane 600 DS. It is a good solid ride for about $500. Don't listen to those others. Get a FS! You will have much enjoyment jumping curbs, etc.. Personally, I doubt that I'll ever encounter a mountain in Manhattan. But, there are plenty of potholes!

True: FS is a bit heavier. But that's what gears are for!

Ride Daily!

Scottsensei
    Excellent first post dragging 3.5 year old thread to life. If I didnt know any better I would say you are a Motobecane / bikesdirect shill............

...idios...
    Meh

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler