1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Newb question about brakes

I just assembled my first bike out of the box. Everything went pretty easy. The only question I have is about the hydraulic brakes. I can hear a slight rubbing noise without engaging the brakes. Is this normal or do I have to do an adjustment? I loosened then re-tightened the calipers, but nothing jumped out on what is causing the rubbing noise. Will it auto-adjust itself? Any suggestions? TIA.

Newb question about brakes-fuji.jpg

mtbr member
    When you loosened the calipers did you press the lever to get the caliper to center itself?
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I didn't press any lever, but I just kind of moved the calipers slightly to make sure the rotor was as centered as possible.

mtbr member
    Try slightly loosening the screws that hold the caliper in place. Hold down the respective brake lever. Tighten screws. Release lever.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

local trails rider
    That usually works:
    Loosen calliper bolts, just enough that the calliper can move side-to-side
    Squeeze and hold brake lever
    Tighten the bolts

Occasionally, I've had to adjust calliper position manually: loosen, push the way I think it should go, tighten - but that is pretty hit and miss, and may have to be repeated several times to get it just right.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    If you do this and you still get a little rub, it can be that the rotor is a little out of true..not a big deal. Just go ride it..sometime actually using the brakes for the first time helps out this issue.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    tighten each caliper bolt carefully and slowly, alternating bolts. sometimes tightening one of the bolts while the other is loose will cause the caliper to twist.

mtbr member
    Try making the adjustments mentioned by others, but first, put a business card between pad and rotor on each side. This will keep the brake centered and prevent the movement while tightening the bolts. You can achieve zero rubbing.

Picture Unrelated
    Good advice above, but take the bike out for a quick ride around the block to bed in the pads before you go pulling your hair out.

Put on your helmet (this is important, I've seen the brake check go horribly wrong) and do a couple low speed test stops and if you're confident your brakes are working well, get up a little speed and do a firm brake using just the rear brake. Then repeat it a few times, you'll feel the brake get a little better at stopping each time. Repeat this with just the front brake (seriously, be careful not to go over the bars). Once you have the pads bedded in through this process go back and adjust per the above.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna try all the suggestions until I get it right. I didn't want to ride it yet in case I may damage something. I'm hoping I can go for a quick ride since the weather right now is perfect.