mtbr member
    Aug 2011

For the newb: pros/cons of tubed/tubeless?

New to mtb, just picked up my new ride (giant talon 29er 2). Been scouring the forums here to learn as much as I can and I've noticed a lot of people talking about running their tires tubeless.

What's the deal with this? What are the pros/cons of running tubed or tubeless? Other than weight, of course.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^ Thanks for the link, I need new tubes for my new bike and I was looking for some info like this!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Sarge.

Some Dude
    Maybe this will convince you, both amazing and funny video:

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That looks like an amazing video.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghengis65 View Post
    New to mtb, just picked up my new ride (giant talon 29er 2). Been scouring the forums here to learn as much as I can and I've noticed a lot of people talking about running their tires tubeless.

What's the deal with this? What are the pros/cons of running tubed or tubeless? Other than weight, of course.

Thanks!
    The primary advantage of tubeless is the virtual elimination of pinch flats and a drastic reduction in puncture flats. And without the tube, the tire will be more supple and conform to the trail better providing more traction. Secondary advantages, you MAY be able to run lower pressures, but it depends heavily on the wheel, tire, rider weight, terrain, riding style, etc. I've actually had tires that required more pressure when run tubeless than when tubed in order to protect the rim and keep the tire stable. It just depends on the tire. And you may see a slight reduction in weight. Usually though it's pretty much a wash if you are using the same tires that you used tubed. The weight of the rim strips or tape plus the sealant usually fall within a few grams of a tube.

Disadvantages of a tubeless set up. Initial start up cost is more than with a tube. You'll need either a kit, or the bits needed for a ghetto set up, plus sealant. This will usually set you back a bit more than the $10 needed to buy a couple of tubes. You'll have a bit of added maintenance. Sealants that are capable of sealing the pores in a regular tire tend to dry up over time. So fairly regular replenishment of the sealant is needed. Depending on environment and how often you ride, it can be as frequently as once a month. About every 3 months is average though. Some tire and rim combinations simply don't play well together when set up tubeless. Even going with UST or TLR tires is no guarantee that your chosen tires will work well with your wheels. And finally, set up can be a PIA. Again this depends on the method of going tubeless, the rim, and the tire. Some combinations will air up and seat with a floor pump, no problem. Other combinations will require a compressor to get the tires to air up and the beads to seat.

That's pretty much it. Whether it's worth it or not depends on you. Tubeless isn't for everyone. But it can be great under the right circumstances. If you live in thorn country it can be a real advantage. Where I live and ride, we have goat heads that will kill a 2 ply DH tire with DH tubes in a heart beat. Tubeless is almost a must, unless you like spending $200 a year on tubes and/or spending an hour or so post ride patching. If you pinch flat frequently tubeless can be a big plus as well. But if you don't flat often, are happy with the performance of your tires as they are, or aren't willing to experiment with pressures, or are unwilling to run the risk of having a set up that doesn't work well and having to try different tires to get it right. Then you'd likely be happier staying with tubes.

The bottom line is, don't go tubeless because "everybody else is". Go tubeless because you want or need to. It doesn't hurt to give it a try. Your call!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

since 4/10/2009
    tubeless can be a pain with burping air sometimes.

I recently burped air in my front tire, which is a regular tire on a UST rim sealed with homebrew sealant. The sealant did its job - too well. It sealed right back up, but the bead grabbed wrong and I couldn't get it to seat correctly. It's partly the tire's fault - it has a slight wobble in it from a manufacturing defect and that area is always tough to seat. In order to fix it, I had to unmount the tire and remount it completely and at that point, I had next to no chance of inflating it with a mini pump so I had to put a tube in it.

My rear tire, which is UST, has been flawless. I run it with sealant, also, and haven't had the slightest inkling of difficulty with it. The bead makes it harder to install/remove, but that's intentional. I can still get it on/off without tools. It just takes more wrestling. When my front tire wears out, I will replace it with a UST version.