1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Newb needs advice: '03 Trek 4100 via c-list or a brand new Trek 3500 from LBS?

Hi gurus! I need your advice... should I consider an '03 Trek 4100, owner said its almost like new but never tuned up at $235? Or, should I just save me the trouble of guessing if the bike is mint condition and get a brand new '12 Trek 3500 at the LBS at a good deal of $399 plus benefits from the LBS?

Trek 4100 from c-list (owner sounded grouchy on the phone) @ $235

Trek 3500 from LBS @ $399 + tax I guess
    BikePedia, 2012 bicycles, Trek 10106002112 "3500" - Full Item Description

I ride most of the time on the roads and occasionally on park trails of different surfaces.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    How can it be 9 yrs old, never tuned up, and almost new at the same time? About the only thing almost new about it is the price (299 back in 03).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de View Post
    How can it be 9 yrs old, never tuned up, and almost new at the same time? About the only thing almost new about it is the price (299 back in 03).
    I just went to check out the bike. He said it was a 16" but it was a 15.5"... a size for a kid. My current is a 17" rigid. But I went to an LBS and it seems Trek has sizes in even numbered increments. The 18" was too high while the 16 was just right. So I thought that if this bike was a 16, it might fit me too. But you are right. The bike was not in "like new" condition. Fork was too soft, brakes needs fixing. I was not pleased with it... well, it was small anyway.

I think I have no luck with c-list right now... I might give it a few more days and just get the brand new Trek 3500 and ride the hell out of it. If I think I need to upgrade, I'll pass it on to my son... or sell it.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Honestly I'd go for the LBS one, you will get a warranty, probably some free service from the LBS and you can be fitted to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the heads up on this post! I was looking to purchase this bike as well. Thanks a lot. Big save!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fobbers View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this post! I was looking to purchase this bike as well. Thanks a lot. Big save!
    You mean, this same c-listed bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah, I believe it was the same posting.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I believe it was the same posting.
    What a coincidence! What are the odds for that?!!

Well... he said it never had a tune-up and I have to say that it really looks like it. Everything is working though. It is kid sized... or perhaps good enough for a small man... and he said it is supposed to be for men. The picture he posted is an '04, but when I checked out the bike, the color scheme indicates its an '03. He did admit though that it was an '03. He said his asking and final price is $235. In its present condition, I think it is too much. $235 plus tune-up, and probably fixing or replacing some parts will be almost the price of a brand new. He said he sold all his 5 bikes at the price he wanted... perhaps they were in better condition... but I wish him luck on this one.
    Last edited by littlebadboy; 06-18-2012 at 07:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Oh wow. Thank you though for the heads up again. Out to search for anotherTrek. Sure saves me time and the hastle.

mtbr member
    Oh he posted a new bike...

A Mid 90's Specialized Stumpjumper FS for $500? Should it really be worth that much?

Specialized Stumpjumper FS 24 speed MAN'S MOUNTAIN BIKE Made in japan

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    As used car salesmen say - there's an a$$ for every seat. He'll probably find someone who has no clue what they're looking for/at. Don't be that guy.

mtbr member
    LBS purchase is a better investment- benefits from LBS (which are usually worth it), and you have a warranty as the original purchaser. if you happen to break a frame on a second-hand bike, you are SOL.

however, neither of those bikes is really trail-worthy. if you want to off-road mtb trails of any sort, you ought to save your pennies and pick up something more stout.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Im just a begginer right now and just want to ride. If I get serious about biking, then ill invest in a higher end bike. But for now I wanna try it to see if i will enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The 3500 will get you started and you may just find that it lasts a hell of a lot longer than some people would have you believe. As a XC rig, you could do a whole hell of a lot worse.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks DudeNudem.

mtbr member
    Go with what Dudenudem said. i got a 3900 just to see if i liked riding before i broke the bank, its a good bike and can take a lot of abuse. but i will say upgrade the peddles and skewers on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    hey littlebadboy can u send me your email address...i need to send you a link. im not able to post links or send PM'S cuz i only have 5 posts. and i need 10

mtbr member
    hey littlebadboy can u send me your email address...
    I apologize... I am not comfortable sending my email to somebody I don't know. But you're close to 10 posts already!

I already bought a Trek 3500 at the LBS!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Haha thats cool. The guy who posted the bike for sale reposted with pictures. I jut wanted to ask you of that was the bike you got to see. Congrats on the buy! How are you liking your 3500? How much did u get it for? And where did u purchase it?

mtbr member
    Haha thats cool. The guy who posted the bike for sale reposted with pictures. I jut wanted to ask you of that was the bike you got to see. Congrats on the buy! How are you liking your 3500? How much did u get it for? And where did u purchase it?
    Yeah that is exactly it! He lowered the price by $10! And he said he was fixed at $235... I think he will have a hard time selling it for more than $150, sad to say.

I don't have the 3500 with me yet. They ordered a 16" for me and still waiting. I tried an available 18" but my balls were already resting on the top tube so they said I have to try a 16" first. I have some reservations with the 16" because my current rigid frame is a 17". I am worried that a 16" might look small on me. I got it for $399 which is the lowest I have found in my area so far with a lot of LBS benefits! I also found out that they have a Trek credit card which only took a 10 minute waiting time for approval. So I thought of paying half and took advantage of the 6 months interest free financing. Not bad, right? Also, I found out that I have a big credit line for Trek... so I thought, ooooooh the possibility of getting a better bike... Aurgh! God keep me away from temptation!

My LBS is at B & G Cyclery, Inc. Splash Page.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Not bad at all man! How is the customer service at your lbs? So once u recieve your Trek card, cut that bad boy up haha! Thats the same size needed if I was to get a Trek as well.

mtbr member
    Not bad at all man! How is the customer service at your lbs? So once u recieve your Trek card, cut that bad boy up haha! Thats the same size needed if I was to get a Trek as well.
    Oh the service at my LBS has always been excellent. It is family owned and run. Kind of a Mom & Pops store. They would give advice on accessories and things that you are interested but won't point at the expensive ones. A few weeks back, I was looking at the 820. She said there's nothing bad with it but if I am willing to add a little bit more, the 3500 is better because it will not rust having an aluminum frame compared to the 820 steel frame. It made sense to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
    Oh the service at my LBS has always been excellent. It is family owned and run. Kind of a Mom & Pops store. They would give advice on accessories and things that you are interested but won't point at the expensive ones. A few weeks back, I was looking at the 820. She said there's nothing bad with it but if I am willing to add a little bit more, the 3500 is better because it will not rust having an aluminum frame compared to the 820 steel frame. It made sense to me.
    theres nothing wrong with the 820 if you dont mind a 40lb bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slozomby View Post
    theres nothing wrong with the 820 if you dont mind a 40lb bike.
    Oh they said that weight is not the main issue but does not mean it is not an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That CL bike a rip off. If u re mechanically inclined and ready to get hands dirty on bike, loom for a better value used CL bike.

If not go lbs

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone 4s's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast