mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Newb, need help picking out a bike

Looking to get into mtn biking, but not sure what bike to start off with. I live in CO, so there is a lot of terrain to choose from. What I've read so far, I'm interested in picking up a hardtail.

Regarding my riding experience, back in the day, I used race BMX(sponsored for a few seasons by a local bike shop and Kuwahara) and ride vert. I have also worked in a few bike shops building and repairing bikes, so I could build a bike if that would be my best option.

I've been searching through craigslist, but there is so much to choose from. I prefer picking up used, because I know I will end up replacing/upgrading after a few months.

Thanks

mtbr member
    My friend rides a Specialized HRXC and says it's a mos-def good bike.I'd reccomend a GT Avalance 3.0 Disc but it depends on how much your spending.I spent 500$ on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Go to your LBS and ride some bikes. Everyone seems to like the feel of different bikes- thats why there are so many different kinds . I rode a bunch of different bikes at a bunch of LBS's and settled on a GT Avalanche 2.0 disc. I wanted a Canondale F5 at first, but they didn't have any in stock and recommended the GT. I like it a lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the info. Checked out a few bikes and really like Gary Fisher. Now just need to figure out which model