1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Newb, looking for a good moutain bike in the $700-$900 price range.

Hello everyone first post on the forum, trying to gather some information on what you guys think is the best mountain bike in the 700-900 dollar price range. This will be my first mountain bike purchase and with so many options out there after looking at about a dozen websites figured i would ask this forum.
    I'm looking for a bike for trail riding, exercise and down the road maybe some more advanced mountain biking. Some of the bikes that caught my eye were the Cannondale trail 29, Trek 4300 disc, GT karakoram comp, Specialized rockhopper 29. I'm looking for as many suggestions as possible and feedback on what others thought of the bikes i listed or if anyone owns any of these bikes, how they like them.
    Would also like to get feedback on what would be best 29" or 26" rims and why?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Welcome, I say go to a local bike shop and take some for a test ride. see what feels great for you. I bought my 2010 Scott Aspect 55 for the frame alone, then slowly upgraded parts. I'd say get something with at least 100mm of travel on the fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Welcome, I agree with polecats03. Go to the local bike shop and test some out. Go with what fits you best.
    You cant go wrong with the brands you mentioned. Look into scott aspect series of bikes. I have one and its been great. It will eventually need a fork upgrade though.

The 26-29 debate has been covered very generously on this site, and will answer any questions you may have

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a 2010 Scott Aspect 55 I got for $550. I love it. I did dump about $1,000 in upgrades but I LOVE it now. I ride it on single track, all mountain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My 1st bike came with an 80mm fork. I find my most visited and closest trail system is far too technical for that. I definitely recommend a 100-120mm fork. Fork is probably the hardest and most expensive part to replace. So if you start with a decent one you'll do yourself a favor.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I just purchased me a Trek X-Cal 8, I went with that 1 because of the Fork. It came with the Rockshox xc32 instead of the suntours and other better components compared to Felt and Giants in that price range. It was 1049.00 plus tax I got it for 900 plus tax... didnt have any other lbs and didnt want to buy a bike to far away either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I think the xcal 8 looks very tempting

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Aw man I love it, only thing I'm changing are the pedals and maybe my saddle and thats it...

Resident Gear Head
    Airborne Guardian. Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0

26" vs 29" depends on where you are riding + personal preference. 29's are becoming very popular in the mountain bike market. A few key points, a 29" wheel will roll over smaller stuff much easier and hold it's speed better. But the bigger wheel will make the wheelbase larger and the bike will be a bit slower in the corners than a 26"
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Newb, looking for a good moutain bike in the $700-$900 price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbsinator View Post
    My 1st bike came with an 80mm fork. I find my most visited and closest trail system is far too technical for that. I definitely recommend a 100-120mm fork. Fork is probably the hardest and most expensive part to replace. So if you start with a decent one you'll do yourself a favor.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4
    Hardest to install a fork? I find it rather easy.
    Id also check used bikes, you can get better spec on a year or so older model. Check pink bike and craigslist.

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thoughts on this bike?
    Should I hold off and go with a 29r
    Scott Aspect 640 - Cardinal Bike Shop in Palo Alto, CA / Stanford

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Newb, looking for a good moutain bike in the $700-$900 price range.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky916 View Post
    Hardest to install a fork? I find it rather easy.
    Id also check used bikes, you can get better spec on a year or so older model. Check pink bike and craigslist.

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE
    I meant harder than other common parts, like derailuers or brakes. I'd rather get a good fork up front than bother getting the correct one and headset, stem, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My buddy just bought the 13 trek mamba. It's a real nice bike and you can get it for a decent price right now since the 14s are coming into stores.

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Quote Originally Posted by medium View Post
    Thoughts on this bike?
    If you do not happen to go and travel to bike shops and see if one fits you properly... Then it would be no point in saying if a bike is good or not.

In the end it's how you feel on the bike when you ride it. Every bike will feel different, and if you shop just based on price and you don't feel good on the bike... Then the purchase was a waste of time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbsinator View Post
    I meant harder than other common parts, like derailuers or brakes. I'd rather get a good fork up front than bother getting the correct one and headset, stem, etc.
    Forks are easy to install. Watch this video--
    Suspension fork upgrade installation - YouTube

I would stay with a 29.

mtbr member
    Giant Talon

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by medium View Post
    Thoughts on this bike?
    I bought a Scott Aspect 29er last October after a lengthy break from mountain biking. At first I just wanted a traditional 26er and didn't want a bar of these weird new big wheeled bikes. However I soon realised this wasn't just a new/passing fad and decided to go for the bigger wheels. Really glad I did. If I had bought a 26er I'm sure I would have regretted it. Definitely the way to go on an entry level hardtail IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Check out the Airborne Guardian 2.0, it is one of the best bang for the buck bikes out there, you will not be disapointed, customer service is tops. $599.00 + $75.00 shipping and possibly tax of around $47.00 depending on which state you live in. Go look at the Airborne Threads in bike manufacturer forums.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I bought this for a friend, used on CL for $600. The deals are out there if you look for them.