1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35

    NewB looking for advice on a deal for a new bike

    Hi,

    I am new to the forum and new to the bike world.

    I would like to buy a very cheap bike to test i am able to use it regularly.

    I have found this offer today but i am not sure if that is something good or really crap:

    I cannot put the link but it is a Nishiki Adult Pueblo Mountain Bike 2012 from ***** at 149$ +15$ shipping.

    What do you think?

    It is really on my price range, but i am not sure if it is better to wait a look for something on craiglist.

    On the other hand, i could use it that right now.

    I have edited to add this info:

    What region of the country do I live in?
    Orlando, florida.

    How much time do I plan on devoting to this hobby?
    I would like to use it 2-3 times a week, but i am not surei will. :P

    What is my previous cycling experience?
    I have a bicicle since i was 9-10 but i never use it more than going around.

    What are my mechanical abilities? Good.
    Do I currently own a bike? No.

    Why do I want to buy a new bike? I do not want to use the car for everything i need to do, buy some milk, go to the park, etc.

    How much research have I already done and do I have an idea of what I want?
    I want something cheap, i am not sure i will use it a lot. It is a starting point. I will upgrade if i start to use it a lot.

    Do I have friends who are into the hobby? No.

    What kind of bikes do my riding buddies ride? -

    What kind of bikes do I see on the trails I plan to ride? Mountain Bike, i like to go to parks and trails.

    Can I really afford this hobby? Are my credit cards paid off? Yes. But i want to start with low budget.

    How much money do I want to spend on this hobby over the next year? 300$ max

    What am I trying to accomplish by participating in this hobby? Introduce some sport on my life and leave the computer behind.

    Thank You!!
    Last edited by darkpollo; 11-26-2012 at 07:30 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    I have adited my post and added some useful information so you can help me better.

    Thank you.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    Well,the offer is now gone, so i am not sure where to go to find a really cheap bike to start.

    I am going to try the local bike shops and see what can they offer.
    Craiglist offer so many options and i do not know how to filter them.

    Any other suggestions?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Flow like water
    Reputation: DavyRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    711
    I suggest Dick's Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, REI, etc..

    You said you want a cheap new bike for trails and parks. You live in Florida, so I assume you are not talking about downhill parks. These big box sporting goods stores have the minimum level bikes that can be reliable.

    If you know nothing about bikes, Craigslist bikes may not be a good approach. If you know people with bikes for sale (people you actually know), you might pick up something that has been gathering dust in your next-door-neighbors garage.

    Good luck finding something. Ask around. Visit a few bike shops and tell them what you are looking for. The good ones will make suggestions. The bad ones will blow you off. Remember which.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    Thanks.

    Do you recommend any of the under 200$ sportsauthority.com mountain bike?

    I would like to use the 20% discount of cybermonday.


    m. sportsauthority. com /family/index.jsp?moov_passthrough_type=moov_form_action&pg=1&categoryId=2712462&cp=3077627&pg=1&searchSort=TRUE&cp=3077627&categoryId=2712462&s=A-StorePrice-TSA

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    All the under 200$ at sports authority look worse than the ones at *****.
    Are the Kawasaki kx26 and The mantis seer really bad bikes?
    How about the pueblo bike at *****?
    Or it is just better to go for something better and use the discount today too stay below the 200$?

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by darkpollo View Post
    All the under 200$ at sports authority look worse than the ones at *****.
    Are the Kawasaki kx26 and The mantis seer really bad bikes?
    How about the pueblo bike at *****?
    Or it is just better to go for something better and use the discount today too stay below the 200$?
    You're better off looking for a used bike around $250-300 assuming it fits you well. If you take the time to look, you can get a 1-2 year old bike that cost $500-$700 new. That usually means better components, better quality.

    $200 at the big box sports stores doesn't get you much in terms of value especially if you're looking to go beyond pedaling the bike on paved surfaces.

    -S

  9. #9
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,349
    Everything in that price range will be fine for the road, paved trails and smooth off road trails. You'll be okay if you keep it clean and lubed with proper chain lube (not WD-40) and keep the bolts tight.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    You're better off looking for a used bike around $250-300 assuming it fits you well. If you take the time to look, you can get a 1-2 year old bike that cost $500-$700 new. That usually means better components, better quality.

    $200 at the big box sports stores doesn't get you much in terms of value especially if you're looking to go beyond pedaling the bike on paved surfaces.

    -S
    If i decided not to buy today with the cybemonday i will have a look at craiglist, but it is difficult to find something when you do not know what are you looking for.


    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Everything in that price range will be fine for the road, paved trails and smooth off road trails. You'll be okay if you keep it clean and lubed with proper chain lube (not WD-40) and keep the bolts tight.
    You mean with 200$ at the big sport stores?

    What do you think about the under 200$ bikes on sportsauthority?
    Is this a real crap bike or will do the job for that price?

    Mantis Seer 26" Men's Mountain Bike - SportsAuthority.com

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    WHat do you think about this one?

    https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Produc...0052_172828_-1

  12. #12
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,349
    Here's that same bike from WalMart for $119: Mantis Seer 26" Mountain Bike, V Brake Mountain Bike, MTB Mountain Bike, Mantis Mountain Bike

    If you're going that route, you might as well buy it from WalMart, they have a no questions asked, return policy warranty option that might come in handy.

    That bike is just as good (or bad) as anything else in that price range. Stay away from anything with "suspension" - it doesn't really work well and just adds weight. I'd say, for just something to get some fresh air, that $119 Walmart bike is fine.

    The absolute, entry level "Mountain Bike," something I would take off road and it would last more than 500 miles, would be this: Airborne Bicycles. Sabre

    That price does not include pedals or shipping.

    Remember to save some money for a helmet. Good luck!
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    Thanks!
    And what about the Nashbar AT-1? Link on previous post.
    I think that is what i am looking for... anyone knows about it?

  14. #14
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,349
    Nashbar bike is fine. It's pretty darn close to this Schwinn at Walmart: 26" Schwinn Sidewinder Men's Mountain Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys : Walmart.com
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Nashbar bike is fine. It's pretty darn close to this Schwinn at Walmart: 26" Schwinn Sidewinder Men's Mountain Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys : Walmart.com
    I thought that the nashbar had an alluminium frame.
    For me that looks better, but i am the newby here...
    It is only 11$ difference so i think i will go with the nashbar.

  16. #16
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,349
    Great - enjoy! Get a helmet, water bottle cage and bottle, spare tube, tire levers and a multi-tool for the longer trips. Have fun!
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  17. #17
    Anti-elitist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    409
    Don't take the following the wrong way.
    My advice is: are you really going to be MTBing hard? I mean flat dusty paths don't really call for an all out mountain bike. You say you want something to get around and you aren't sure how much time you're willing to commit to the hobby/sport.

    Call me out if I'm wrong guys.
    Wouldn't a cheap roadie/cruiser/comfort bike suffice? Do you (OP) have any examples (links or pics or vids) of where you want to ride? It would help.

    Most NEW bikes in your price range really won't hold up to the rigors of MTBing. Used bikes are Just search "mountain bike" on CL. then set you price range from 1 to n; n being your budget, then sort from price high to low. You should find something decent, and if you're not sure about it, just ask. Usually the people on this forum don't bite haha.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

  18. #18
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,349
    The Nashbar bike he picked out is fine for what he wants to do.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    Don't take the following the wrong way.
    My advice is: are you really going to be MTBing hard? I mean flat dusty paths don't really call for an all out mountain bike. You say you want something to get around and you aren't sure how much time you're willing to commit to the hobby/sport.

    Call me out if I'm wrong guys.
    Wouldn't a cheap roadie/cruiser/comfort bike suffice? Do you (OP) have any examples (links or pics or vids) of where you want to ride? It would help.

    Most NEW bikes in your price range really won't hold up to the rigors of MTBing. Used bikes are Just search "mountain bike" on CL. then set you price range from 1 to n; n being your budget, then sort from price high to low. You should find something decent, and if you're not sure about it, just ask. Usually the people on this forum don't bite haha.
    Thank you for the advice.
    Well, i am not going to do MTBing hard on the following months, that is for sure, i need to get used again to ride a bike everyweek-day before that.
    After considering all the options,i think that a cheap MTB is what i need/want, considering that the roadie/cruiser/comfort are not cheaper and wont allow me to try the MTB at all.

    I am sure CL was the way to go, but i have just bought a car there and you need to spend time on it to find what you want.

    So, i will decide tomorrow between the wallmarts option and the Nashbar, not sure which one is better.

    Any other suggestion will be welcome!

    Thank you

  20. #20
    Anti-elitist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    The Nashbar bike he picked out is fine for what he wants to do.
    Yeah, I just checked it out. Legit components that'll last a while for what the OP describes. In his price range too. Used isn't for everyone; there's nothing like the peace of mind of buying something brand new.

    If you find a Wally equivalent of the AT-1, I would say Nashbar, because then you can say it's not a dept store bike (not that there's anything wrong with that...).
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    The Nashbar bike he picked out is fine for what he wants to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    Yeah, I just checked it out. Legit components that'll last a while for what the OP describes. In his price range too. Used isn't for everyone; there's nothing like the peace of mind of buying something brand new.

    If you find a Wally equivalent of the AT-1, I would say Nashbar, because then you can say it's not a dept store bike (not that there's anything wrong with that...).
    Thank you, i have just ordered it after your comments. 179.99 shipment included.

    I have bought a used car and a motorbike too, but for 200$ the time spend on the CL is not worth for me right now.
    If i was going to spend more money i am pretty sure that CL was the best option.

    Thank you again! Now i need to wait and learn how to put all the parts together.

  22. #22
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,349
    The video here should be pretty close: Airborne Bicycles. Sabre
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    Yes, i didnt see it the first time you posted it.
    I have also found another step by step guide here:
    Nashbar AT-1 MTB


    Thanks again.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    Hi

    I have just received my bike and I am not sure what tools am I going to need.
    Do I need something special?

    I also have read that some parts needs to be greased.
    Where can I buy proper grease to use on the bike?
    Target? wall mart? *****SG? Or must I go to a bike shop?
    Thanks

  25. #25
    Anti-elitist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    409
    Chill out on the grease. Anything with reasonable consistency and price will be .
    I just picked up some "wheel bearing" grease from Home Depot. NLGI #2 worked fine. You'll need to grease your stem/handlebar clamp, your seat post and your pedal spindles. Also good to grease any threads on any hardware at all. Don't drop 20 bucks on a tiny tube of Phil grease. Just IMHO. The delta rolling resistance isn't much between greases.
    I didn't need any special tools to assemble my mail order bike. Adjustable wrench, pliers, Allen wrench set and flat screwdriver. Good luck
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •