1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Newb-ish - Picked up new bike - Carve Expert

Not a beginner - would call myself beginner-ish. I've ridden off and on for quite a few years. Started very young and loved it. Had a Haro mtb back then.

Back when I lived in Orlando, FL picked up a Gary Fisher entry lvl and rode with friends from work.

2008 picked up a Raleigh Mojave 5.0 and rode it until stuff started breaking.

2013 - started riding with an in-law buddy and got bit - picked up a Specialized Carve Expert and am so stoked to hit the trails.

I think this bike will fit the trails well for the Northern Michigan area. THe main trails that I hit are Rifle River Rec area (Lupton), Ogemaw Hills (West Branch), Chippewa Hills (Alpena), and Holdridge (Flint).

I would love to see some trails come to the Huron National Forest if anyone has some insight on how that could be accomplished. I have to travel an hour to ride which is difficult and sometimes impossible. I've been in contact with MMBA.org and didn't get very far.

Thanks. Keep ridin'!
    Last edited by j35u5fr34k; 08-06-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Rub it............
    The Carve/Crave series of bikes is an excellent bike for trail riding and for those who want to dabble in XC racing.

Best advice I can give is to go tubeless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The local branch of the US Forest Service is one of the best places to start when it comes to building trails in the National Forest. I have been helping organize some trail work/new trail building at my local trails, which are on National Forest land, and the USFS has been a great asset with that, even letting us borrow tools.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks I'll check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    The Carve/Crave series of bikes is an excellent bike for trail riding and for those who want to dabble in XC racing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by owensjs View Post
    The local branch of the US Forest Service is one of the best places to start when it comes to building trails in the National Forest. I have been helping organize some trail work/new trail building at my local trails, which are on National Forest land, and the USFS has been a great asset with that, even letting us borrow tools.
    Thanks. I contacted the local branch of the US Forest Service, IMBA and local representative. After talking to them, sounds like I've got a long road ahead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Re: Newb-ish - Picked up new bike - Carve Expert

Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post

Do you recommend the Gorilla tape tubeless or strictly Stans kit?

Sent from Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My LBS swears by the Stans kit. The owner uses it on his personal $10k bike and even demonstrated it for me. We got to talking about the Stans kit and he grabbed a pick, walked over to his bike on the rack, and stuck it in. Within seconds the hole was sealed. Pretty amazing stuff. When I go tubeless, that's what I'm going with

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Stan's kit is awesome and works extremely well. Personally, I have Gorilla Tape as a tubeless rim strip on my Stumpjumper and I use Stan's sealant and the tubeless valves that came with my bike. It's worked perfectly since October, so I know first-hand that Gorilla Tape isn't a bad alternative.

Rub it............

Quote Originally Posted by j35u5fr34k View Post
    Do you recommend the Gorilla tape tubeless or strictly Stans kit?

Sent from Tapatalk

Depends on the rim.

But usually the Gorilla tape or Stans tape works well for the rims that come stock on a Carve/Crave.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Rub it............

Quote Originally Posted by A DuB View Post
    My LBS swears by the Stans kit. The owner uses it on his personal $10k bike and even demonstrated it for me. We got to talking about the Stans kit and he grabbed a pick, walked over to his bike on the rack, and stuck it in. Within seconds the hole was sealed. Pretty amazing stuff. When I go tubeless, that's what I'm going with

The Stans kit is more than what your LBS showed you. What he showed you was the effectiveness of the Stans Sealant. Not the tape of the rimstrip that is included in tje conversion kit.

But yes, the Stans sealant works remarkably well for most punctures.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Do you guys feel tubeless is worth the effort? What is the upkeep like? How much upkeep?

Sent from Tapatalk

Happy Trails

Newb-ish - Picked up new bike - Carve Expert-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376668478.509957.jpg

Tubeless is better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376668478.509957.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	824195

Tubeless is better.
    Is that a lefty fork? Does the bike feel like it constantly wants to swerve to the right?

Happy Trails

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    Is that a lefty fork? Does the bike feel like it constantly wants to swerve to the right?
    Lefty, yes. Swerve, no. Super smooth, but stiff laterally.
    Newb-ish - Picked up new bike - Carve Expert-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376679101.895079.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Lefty, yes. Swerve, no. Super smooth, but stiff laterally.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376679101.895079.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	824316
    I was only kidding about the swerving. Amazing setup. Looks very strange to me though.

What are the perceived benefits? Weight?