1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

newB. Bike type help

Hi guys,
    Recently I am excessively riding my hybrid old bike (no front or rear suspensions, 1990s panasonic)... and decided to do the upgrade and go for a pro bike that suits my needs accordingly..

My initial sought went straight to FS bikes until i discovered that I may end up paying for a relatively expensive bike that won't be totally used as intended

My routes are largely hilly (75%) and partly off road (25% Country and Dirt Roads), and therefore could need a mountain bike or hybrid that suits me better than a road bike.

I have the tendency to go for BD (bikes directs) specially if I am to go for a hardtail...

I've checked the following bikes: 2010 Shimano XT Motobecane Fantom PRO Ti Titanium frame with SID RACE 100mm

2013 Motobecane Fantom 29 Titanium 29er Mountain Trail Bikes with LockOut Reba RL 100mm

Gravity Point6 29er Mountain Bikes

Motobecane Cafe Sprint Disc

2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Outlaw

OR the FS by going for slick tires 2013 Motobecane 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bikes Fantom 29 FS XTR 30 Speed

Which among the above bikes suits my needs better?
    Should I go for FS or a hardtail is enough?
    Is the 2010 Shimano XT Motobecane Fantom PRO Ti Titanium still a good titanium bike purchase ($1,495)?
    Is it a wise idea to go for two bikes? It could be an entry level road bike ($600) with good gearing system (for the uphills) and another HT bike or FS bike
    My upper budget is $2,500 specially if I am to go for two bikes !
    Last edited by Nakkoush; 12-03-2012 at 04:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There is another tpye of bike that could work for you it's call cyclocross. A road bike with wider tires,bars and gearing. A 29er mountain bike hardtail would be the most bike for the money.

Suffers From Binge Biking
    Of the bikes you have listed, the one that stands out to me as one that would fit your needs is the 29Point6. I wish it had a spec listed for the weight though, istead of just calling it "light weight", though I'm sure it IS very light, as a $1,200 hardtail is going to be very well appointed with higher end, light weight components The Fantom is also a good choice and the lighter frame would help a lot on all the hills you climb. In reality though almost any bike you get is going to be worlds better than what you are on now, especially when you're talking about $1k+ hardtails
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think any of the 29r hardtails are going to suit you really well. I've looked long and hard at buying a Bikesdirect bike to put a hardtail in my garage next to my full sus 29r, and while they're tempting, I back away because:

* Those wheels and hubs are mystery meat, and my terrain needs stuff I know will last
    * Non-tapered head tube. Once I changed to one with a through-axle, I can't go back.
    * I've never really liked Avid brakes

While the prices are great, you can probably find a local shop that'll give you a discount once you sink a few grand into bikes. Over time, it adds up.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    There is another tpye of bike that could work for you it's call cyclocross. A road bike with wider tires,bars and gearing. A 29er mountain bike hardtail would be the most bike for the money.
    ^^^ This is probably a good suggestion for the type of riding you do.

Check out used bikes too. Test them out thoroughly for fitment though. You can get a GREAT used FS bike for $1400-$1500 if you take the time to check out what's in your area.

-S

Cow Clicker
    How long are you riding (distance) and how bad are the dirt/country roads? If it's a comfort thing, one of these might do the trick: Welcome to Thudbuster.com

If you're considering Bikes Direct, then you might want to consider a Sette. I really like mine.

+1 on the cyclocross if you're okay with the seating position. It's basically a 29er with skinnier tires and a drop bar.
    Sette CX-1 Ultegra Carbon Cyclocross Bike at Price Point

This is a really nice bike for $1700 bucks: Sette Razzo SC X7 10 Speed 29er Carbon Bike - Matte Black with Slate Blue at Price Point
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    There is another tpye of bike that could work for you it's call cyclocross.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    How long are you riding (distance) and how bad are the dirt/country roads? If it's a comfort thing, one of these might do the trick: Welcome to Thudbuster.com
    I ride between 15 to 20 miles per trip, twice a week. the dirt / country roads are bad

If you're considering Bikes Direct, then you might want to consider a Sette. I really like mine.

+1 on the cyclocross if you're okay with the seating position. It's basically a 29er with skinnier tires and a drop bar.
    Sette CX-1 Ultegra Carbon Cyclocross Bike at Price Point

This is a really nice bike for $1700 bucks: Sette Razzo SC X7 10 Speed 29er Carbon Bike - Matte Black with Slate Blue at Price Point
    I don't mind any brand as long as it is tested, positively reviewed online and has at least Shimano Deore / X5 parts or equivalents...

I am tempted by FS bikes their look is more aggressive and attracting and give the impression to deserve the bucks...

how about this bike? Fantom 29er

Cow Clicker
    FS is, typically, for control and to reduce fatigue. It adds weight and is more expensive to maintain. That Razzo I linked is a fantastic bike and perfectly suited for what you are doing. Different, hybrid type, tires would probably be a good idea.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    the Sette Serum Pro XT Carbon Mountain Bike seems to be lighter than the Razzo, higher components & cheaper ! am i right?

Cow Clicker
    Serum is 26 inch, Razzo is 29 inch. You were looking at 29ers. Plus, 29ers are well suited for your type of riding. Saw your post with carbon concerns. Razzo has 5-year warranty. Quality stuff and great customer support.

Cow Clicker
    BTW, I own a Serum and am very happy with it. I have my own reasons for sticking with 26er.

Beer Me!
    My thoughts:
    Get that titanium 29er, or a cyclocross. The FS bike may look cool, and be fun the first few rides, but after a few months, or maybe even a couple days of slogging that un-needed weight, and the loss of energy through your suspension and you will likely regret it. Do you plan on doing more devoted trail riding in the future? Or are you going to stick to the pavement and gravel roads? (nothing wrong with that, i road bike too, just wondering) If you may branch into more mountainous terrain you may want to consider the mountain bike, if not I would recommend the cross bike.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Beer Me!
    At a glance the sette Serum Pro has the best kit spec.

I would suggest going by a local bike shop and throwing a leg over a few mountain bikes just for grins and giggles. Try out a 29er hard tail, try a FS 6" All mountain sledghammer, Try a Cross bike. Give them all a couple spins to see what your getting into.

I totally am guilty of the "OMG NEW BIKE BUY BUY BUY BUY!!!" Itch when i am shoping around, but take your time, this is the fun part!
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Cow Clicker
    Unless nimble is on your wish list, take the Serum off. I love mine, but thik you'll be happier with 29 inch wheels.

Sette has better, crank, chain, cassette, wheels, shifters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Unless nimble is on your wish list, take the Serum off. I love mine, but thik you'll be happier with 29 inch wheels.

Sette has better, crank, chain, cassette, wheels, shifters.
    Sette bike as a price / value is unbeatable; I love it a lotttt I only wish it was a 29er to buy it on the spot...
    I am currently working on an exercise to see if I can build a similar XT carbon fiber bike with a budget not exceeding $1,800 from the Razzo's frame ($600) Sette Razzo SC 29er Carbon Hardtail Frame...

Cow Clicker
    They have a built Razzo Carbon with X7.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    They have a built Razzo Carbon with X7.
    I like the Razzo in genenral... the big disadvantages for the razzo IMO are:
    - X7 (LX equivalent in shimano) while the serum is fully XT !
    - its wheelset in unknown to be compared to shimano XT wheelset + xt hubs !!
    - price wise is the same as a fully XT carbon fiber bike.

while the major big advantage for a Razzo is being a 29er bike.
    My current bike is 26" and still like it much.
    I am tempted to forget a 29er bike and stick to the 26" (Serum) fully corbon fiber XT bike

Is there any equivalent bike to the sette serum XT but 29er ?

Cow Clicker
    Totally agree. I absolutely love my Serum. If you want a 26inch bike, it is an unbeatable value. They make X9, X0 and XX bikes as well, but they are $$$.

at Price Point