Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Newb Bike build... help please....

10K views 157 replies 17 participants last post by  cpfitness 
#1 ·
I want to build a bike and I have decided on picking up an xl 2009 stumpjumper pro carbon frame.... it comes with s120 forks and front derailleur. I am 6'2" 240lbs.... is this the right size frame for me? Whats wheels, gears, etc would fit this bike? I am clueless but want to build a bike because it will be more cost effective for me and I can learn the in and outs of the bike.... thanks

#126 ·
Yeap! he did, hey, I said my piece, and fortunately got him to say his, which turns out more entertaining than I was expecting. We can see the pattern here, yet another flip-flop on cranks.

I'd responded but at this point it's just a waste of effort trying to give him free education. We all pay our dues with the learning curve of the sport, it's time he pick up his own slack. It would be fun though, if he stick around and start asking about the BD's suspension design.

#129 ·
And you assume he wants to build it the same specs which has been discussed multiple times is not cost effective.

You continue to prove your worth to this forum. Just because you say things does not make them true.

Many would argue bd full suspension is better than the dw link because I said so.

The argument was about the price of a base stumpjumper. And yes it was discussed you could build an xo bike for about the same price as buying a bd pos.

You must be right even though you are a self proclaimed noob to mtb and everyone here feels you are wrong.

You are a toll an arrogant. I am sorry about everyone stealing your lunch money in junior high.

I was also the only one who sorta saw your point of view with the xo bike.

I should listen since you are a financial planner, pro golfer, race jeep builder, amazing road cyclist......

#132 ·
And you assume he wants to build it the same specs which has been discussed multiple times is not cost effective.

You continue to prove your worth to this forum. Just because you say things does not make them true.

Many would argue bd full suspension is better than the dw link because I said so.

The argument was about the price of a base stumpjumper. And yes it was discussed you could build an xo bike for about the same price as buying a bd pos.

You must be right even though you are a self proclaimed noob to mtb and everyone here feels you are wrong.

You are a toll an arrogant. I am sorry about everyone stealing your lunch money in junior high.

I was also the only one who sorta saw your point of view with the xo bike.

I should listen since you are a financial planner, pro golfer, race jeep builder, amazing road cyclist......
Ha ha, his posts were so full of it. Mr concrete example. The kenesis is even worse statement, I'm sure you've figured out the bs already with a simple common sense. I don't want to give anymore free education in the form of continuing post back and forth.

Pm me if you still unclear about bs of bd deal, he still needs to learn.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

#130 ·
dude, seriously STFU already, have you even read the friggin thread? you continue to miss the point on everything. I wasn't comparing a bikes direct bike to anything. I was saying that is a source of parts. How hard is it to comprehend this????????

No I don't asssume he wants to build it to the same specs, he was asking and started listing other high end parts he was looking at so multiple people were giving him advice in that vein.
when someone tells you they have a high end carbon frame, it's pretty good assumption they aren't looking to hang alivio and Suntour on it.

Your right, just because I say things doesn't make them true. When I put the hard evidence out there and explain in detail it does.

It must suck to give out a piece of information and then have someone lay out hard numbers to refute your claim like I did.

#131 ·
Cussing is an excuse for a poor vocabulary.
You are the one at one point telling him it is better to mess up suntour parts than xtr parts.
You are the one recommending using a bucket and a brick.
Now according to you you have been the voice of reason?
You absolutely assumed how he wanted to build it read back to your previous post. You are the one flip flopping.

#133 ·
Cussing is an excuse for a poor vocabulary.
You are the one at one point telling him it is better to mess up suntour parts than xtr parts.
You are the one recommending using a bucket and a brick.
Now according to you you have been the voice of reason?
You absolutely assumed how he wanted to build it read back to your previous post. You are the one flip flopping.
Sorry, it was actually njoy. He did take on the issue like it was his statement:D It makes no sense arguing with him because he spewed bs and called it hard evidence, how are you going to reason with people like that.

#144 ·
^^^ And you need to go to bed because it is past your bed time! This thread is completely worthless at this point!

OP---This is a good site with people with great insight to cycling and things associated with it. Please DO NOT be discouraged by this kindergarten argument and its continued momentum. I will say it again, built the bike you want and enjoy the process and the trials that come with it! Enjoy!

#145 ·
wow... a lot has happened since i have been gone. everyone should play nice. i took everyones opinion into consideration and scored on a used specialized stumpjumper. It is a 2010 stumpjumper fsr pro carbon frame and rear shock, with all 2008 stumpjumper parts pro carbon parts. The bike is an xl frame and is in great condition... the previous parts i ordered for the bike build were canceled but i got stuck with a couple. building a bike like this would have cost me at least $3000 i think but i bought this one for $2000... tracking number is made and should ship out tomorrow ups ground... :) thanks again everyone

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.