1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    You quoted Rupert Murdoch? Really?
    Yeap! he did, hey, I said my piece, and fortunately got him to say his, which turns out more entertaining than I was expecting. We can see the pattern here, yet another flip-flop on cranks.

I'd responded but at this point it's just a waste of effort trying to give him free education. We all pay our dues with the learning curve of the sport, it's time he pick up his own slack. It would be fun though, if he stick around and start asking about the BD's suspension design.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jrogs View Post
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Fsr carbon. Msrp 4100. You are welcome. Of course you can find a more expensive bike.
    Actually, that's not bad for the "base level" CF Stumpjumper, especially if you can factor in any discounts that you're able to pull off....

BTW, I'm not discouraging the OP. I fully support what he's doing since I did the same thing with my bike.

-S

mtbr member
    I am wrong by quoting a specialized stumpjumper but you are correct in quoting a bikes direct pos?

mtbr member
    And you assume he wants to build it the same specs which has been discussed multiple times is not cost effective.

You continue to prove your worth to this forum. Just because you say things does not make them true.

Many would argue bd full suspension is better than the dw link because I said so.

The argument was about the price of a base stumpjumper. And yes it was discussed you could build an xo bike for about the same price as buying a bd pos.

You must be right even though you are a self proclaimed noob to mtb and everyone here feels you are wrong.

You are a toll an arrogant. I am sorry about everyone stealing your lunch money in junior high.

I was also the only one who sorta saw your point of view with the xo bike.

I should listen since you are a financial planner, pro golfer, race jeep builder, amazing road cyclist......

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    dude, seriously STFU already, have you even read the friggin thread? you continue to miss the point on everything. I wasn't comparing a bikes direct bike to anything. I was saying that is a source of parts. How hard is it to comprehend this????????

No I don't asssume he wants to build it to the same specs, he was asking and started listing other high end parts he was looking at so multiple people were giving him advice in that vein.
    when someone tells you they have a high end carbon frame, it's pretty good assumption they aren't looking to hang alivio and Suntour on it.

Your right, just because I say things doesn't make them true. When I put the hard evidence out there and explain in detail it does.

It must suck to give out a piece of information and then have someone lay out hard numbers to refute your claim like I did.

mtbr member
    Cussing is an excuse for a poor vocabulary.
    You are the one at one point telling him it is better to mess up suntour parts than xtr parts.
    You are the one recommending using a bucket and a brick.
    Now according to you you have been the voice of reason?
    You absolutely assumed how he wanted to build it read back to your previous post. You are the one flip flopping.

T.W.O.
    And you assume he wants to build it the same specs which has been discussed multiple times is not cost effective.

You continue to prove your worth to this forum. Just because you say things does not make them true.

Many would argue bd full suspension is better than the dw link because I said so.

The argument was about the price of a base stumpjumper. And yes it was discussed you could build an xo bike for about the same price as buying a bd pos.

You must be right even though you are a self proclaimed noob to mtb and everyone here feels you are wrong.

You are a toll an arrogant. I am sorry about everyone stealing your lunch money in junior high.

I was also the only one who sorta saw your point of view with the xo bike.

I should listen since you are a financial planner, pro golfer, race jeep builder, amazing road cyclist......
    Ha ha, his posts were so full of it. Mr concrete example. The kenesis is even worse statement, I'm sure you've figured out the bs already with a simple common sense. I don't want to give anymore free education in the form of continuing post back and forth.

Pm me if you still unclear about bs of bd deal, he still needs to learn.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

T.W.O.
    You are the one at one point telling him it is better to mess up suntour parts than xtr parts.
    You absolutely assumed how he wanted to build it read back to your previous post. You are the one flip flopping.
    Sorry, it was actually njoy. He did take on the issue like it was his statement It makes no sense arguing with him because he spewed bs and called it hard evidence, how are you going to reason with people like that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    so are you saying it's better for a new rider to destroy expensive XTR parts???

I did NOT recommend bucket and a brick.

I did NOT make assumptions about the build, if anything OTHERS told me their assumptions about the build so I took THEIR assumptions and provided examples of how I could do that type of build in a more affordable way since you know that WAS the original point of this thread if you were able to read and comprehend.

mtbr member
    Mimi. Good point. As evident by last post. I am embarrassed I participated this long.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Ha ha, his posts were so full of it. Mr concrete example. The kenesis is even worse statement, I'm sure you've figured out the bs already with a simple common sense. I don't want to give anymore free education in the form of continuing post back and forth.

Pm me if you still unclear about bs of bd deal, he still needs to learn.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    see you clearly are a dumbass who can't read. once again attributing things that I didnt say (first it was bucket and brick, now it's Race jeep builder) to me. get your head out of your ass please.

When you say something full of ****, I explain why it's full of **** because this is a "beginners forum" and I'm trying to educate others. you just say "the Kenesis is even worse statement" with no explanation. Considering you cant even spell the name of the company right (it's Kinesis) I'm sure I can trust your knowledge of their business practices.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

LOL no it wasn't . for the 3rd and final time THE FIRST POST of the thread clearly states a Stumpjumper PRO Carbon.

No the comparison was not that you can build an xo bike for the same price as buying a BD bike, it was about if you want to build an XO equip bike instead of walking into a bike shop and paying their inflated prices for everything just to go build it yourself, you could buy the least expensive complete bike that had the desired components. Pretty common strategy for anyone that actually knows something about cycling. Obviously you don't. I've tried to educate you but you have proven yourself to be stupid. I don't mind dealing with the ignorant. Ignorant simply means you don't know something. But when you don't care to learn that simply means you are stupid and I don't deal in stupid. Sorry.

T.W.O.
    Mmmmm...that'd be a no. Seriously, is that the best you can do? lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Mmmmm...that'd be a no. Seriously, is that the best you can do? lol.
    not the best I can do is break your hands so you cant type any more erroneous ********. too bad I'll probably never have the opportunity.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    Do you have any idea what the MSRP was on the complete version of the op's frame? It's well over 5k.
    Looks like I started the discussion of the MSRP of the bike with this statement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I want to build a bike and I have decided on picking up an xl 2009 stumpjumper pro carbon frame....
    And it looks like here in post number 1 the op tells us what that frame is

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Oh and the basic stumpjumper MSRP is 4g not well over 5g.
    and you and your infinite wisdom chimes in with this

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    BikePedia - 2009 specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon Complete Bicycle

Bicycle Type Mountain bike, front & rear suspension
    MSRP (new) $5,500.00

Next question.
    And I thought I ended the argument when I made this post, but I guess I had to spell it all out for you again

The Original Suspect
    ^^^ And you need to go to bed because it is past your bed time! This thread is completely worthless at this point!

OP---This is a good site with people with great insight to cycling and things associated with it. Please DO NOT be discouraged by this kindergarten argument and its continued momentum. I will say it again, built the bike you want and enjoy the process and the trials that come with it! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

... and if we just ...

wow... a lot has happened since i have been gone. everyone should play nice. i took everyones opinion into consideration and scored on a used specialized stumpjumper. It is a 2010 stumpjumper fsr pro carbon frame and rear shock, with all 2008 stumpjumper parts pro carbon parts. The bike is an xl frame and is in great condition... the previous parts i ordered for the bike build were canceled but i got stuck with a couple. building a bike like this would have cost me at least $3000 i think but i bought this one for $2000... tracking number is made and should ship out tomorrow ups ground... thanks again everyone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newb Bike build... help please....-screenshot_2012-11-26-20-23-37.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    here are some pics....

The Original Suspect
    Awesome!! Ride it in good health and give us an update after you've put a few miles on it! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    what do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newb Bike build... help please....-2012-11-26_09-28-37_986.jpg  

Newb Bike build... help please....-2012-11-26_09-29-15_217.jpg  

Newb Bike build... help please....-2012-11-26_09-30-10_63.jpg  

Newb Bike build... help please....-2012-11-26_09-30-40_853.jpg  

Newb Bike build... help please....-2012-11-26_09-28-04_779.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i cant wait to ride this bike....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newb Bike build... help please....-2012-11-26_09-14-10_3.jpg  

Newb Bike build... help please....-2012-11-26_09-15-05_730.jpg  

Newb Bike build... help please....-2012-11-26_09-15-21_8.jpg  

Newb Bike build... help please....-2012-11-26_09-17-53_78.jpg  

Newb Bike build... help please....-2012-11-26_09-18-48_988.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks great man congrats.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast