1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrogs View Post
    Can I get a picture of how you used a bucket and a brick to hold a bike?
    Me too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    OP that is a good set up so far. Should be fast. I don't think you should buy a 29er from bikes direct since there would be a ton of research to see if the parts would fit. And since specialized didn't make a carbon 29er stumpy in 09 I am guessing your frame is 26" so truly buying a 29er would be stupid. I am actually proud of you for doing a good job collecting parts despite cpfitness "help". I may have missed it if you have a front derailleur or not. Make sure you do research on the type of pull you need and the clamp size. I am still confused about the bucket. Can I get a picture of how you used a bucket and a brick to hold a bike?
    my mistake in using a 29er as an example for some reason i was thinking that is what he is building. The cost actually becomes even more advantageous when using a 26er from BD. They have an aluminum full suspension with SRAM XO components for $2100 as well as a Ti Hardtail for $2500 There is not a ton of research involved in figuring out if a bd bike will work. it's easy enough to look up specs of both bikes. his frame is here Specialized Bicycle Components
    first of all, shifters, brakes, and deraileur are definately going to work. bottom bracket shells are compatible. Sounds like he already has a headset since he has frame and fork already but the BD bike has a 1 1/8th headtube while his frame is tapered so that wouldn't work out of the box but again, he's already got a fork so he would be selling off the BD frame and fork (and would get more $$$ for it since he can sell it with the headset already installed. Looks like he also needs a new seatpost and seatpost clamp but he can keep the BD saddle. Over all the bulk of the parts he needs would carry over to the new bike. Again he can recoup close to a grand if he sells of a Ti hardtail frame with those extras he doesn't need and then reinvest it back into the bike. or he could simply keep the frame and make that part of his next project, perhaps rebuild it with lesser components for a beater bike. He has a lot of options. I'm sorry if you guys think I'm coming off as a know it all, I'm just trying to give the guy some options that include saving $$$$ and some simplicity all the while enabling him to learn how to wrench. Hell with the money he would save by stripping parts he could even afford a nice park tool workstand! he's prepared to spend 2500 bucks, if he follows my advice he could have a high end rideable bike for $1250.
    Last edited by cpfitness; 11-25-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Probably drunk right now
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    my mistake in using a 29er as an example for some reason i was thinking that is what he is building. The cost actually becomes even more advantageous when using a 26er from BD. They have an aluminum full suspension with SRAM XO components for $2100 as well as a Ti Hardtail for $2500 There is not a ton of research involved in figuring out if a bd bike will work. it's easy enough to look up specs of both bikes. his frame is here Specialized Bicycle Components
    first of all, shifters, brakes, and deraileur are definately going to work. bottom bracket shells are compatible. Sounds like he already has a headset since he has frame and fork already but the BD bike has a 1 1/8th headtube while his frame is tapered so that wouldn't work out of the box but again, he's already got a fork so he would be selling off the BD frame and fork (and would get more $$$ for it since he can sell it with the headset already installed. Looks like he also needs a new seatpost and seatpost clamp but he can keep the BD saddle. Over all the bulk of the parts he needs would carry over to the new bike. Again he can recoup close to a grand if he sells of a Ti hardtail frame with those extras he doesn't need and then reinvest it back into the bike. or he could simply keep the frame and make that part of his next project, perhaps rebuild it with lesser components for a beater bike. He has a lot of options. I'm sorry if you guys think I'm coming off as a know it all, I'm just trying to give the guy some options that include saving $$$$ and some simplicity all the while enabling him to learn how to wrench. Hell with the money he would save by stripping parts he could even afford a nice park tool workstand! he's prepared to spend 2500 bucks, if he follows my advice he could have a high end rideable bike for $1250.
    Again, paragraphs are your friend.

And you're right, this could be a solution. But that's not what you said earlier. What you said was that Mimi was an idiot for suggesting that the op purchase a stand.

Sent from my rotary phone and compiled with a telegraph machine.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sorry if i dont stick to perfect grammar when typing on a phone. Ive been consistent in my answers all along yet ive been erroneously told im way off base. How much more must i post to prove my points?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    Again, paragraphs are your friend.

And you're right, this could be a solution. But that's not what you said earlier. What you said was that Mimi was an idiot for suggesting that the op purchase a stand.

Kindly show me where i called him an idiot? On the other hand i can show you where someone called me a moron!

Probably drunk right now
    Kindly show me where i called him an idiot? On the other hand i can show you where someone called me a moron!

Cognitive dissonance? You've completely missed my point.

Stick around. Get to know some folks. Don't be a dick.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    Cognitive dissonance? You've completely missed my point.

Stick around. Get to know some folks. Don't be a dick.

Lol you dont have a point. I dont kiss anyone's ass. I havent resorted to name calling. Ive pointed out factual errors and been called a moron and now a dick. Total ********. Go reread the entire thread. People told the op it takes 6months to build a bike and he must have stand. Im the bad guy for calling ******** on that? I build bikes in an hour or 2 without a stand and im not a pro wrench! Now if you want to say it may take time to source parts and stuff like that? Fine but 6months? Lol.

Probably drunk right now
    Lol you dont have a point. I dont kiss anyone's ass. I havent resorted to name calling. Ive pointed out factual errors and been called a moron and now a dick. Total ********. Go reread the entire thread. People told the op it takes 6months to build a bike and he must have stand. Im the bad guy for calling ******** on that? I build bikes in an hour or 2 without a stand and im not a pro wrench! Now if you want to say it may take time to source parts and stuff like that? Fine but 6months? Lol.

Again w the cognitive dissonance. And I most certainly didn't call you a dick. Simply offering some advice.

I'm sorry your feelings are hurt.

The Original Suspect
    I agree man, you have missed the point. I have read the whole thread and yes, someone said that it could take 6 months if he were looking for deals and saving up. That was BEFORE the OP said how much he had to spend on the build. And not literally how long it would take to build the bike once he was in possession of all the parts.

As far as repairs stands go, I don't recall anyone saying that he "must have" a repair stand. I myself said that they make life easier but not totally necessary. Why are you so against repair stands?? They are a worth while tool. Higher on the list of tools than a headset press, IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    I agree man, you have missed the point. I have read the whole thread and yes, someone said that it could take 6 months if he were looking for deals and saving up. That was BEFORE the OP said how much he had to spend on the build. And not literally how long it would take to build the bike once he was in possession of all the parts.

As far as repairs stands go, I don't recall anyone saying that he "must have" a repair stand. I myself said that they make life easier but not totally necessary. Why are you so against repair stands?? They are a worth while tool. Higher on the list of tools than a headset press, IMO.
    Mimi clearly stated that a repair stand was a must. All i said was that it was certainly not a must which he refuted. He then went on to ask how a crank could be installed without a stand. I answered him in detail. Im contemplating shooting a video of me removing and reinstalling my crank! This began as a discussion on doing a build to save money. That is the way I continue to approach it. Hell, i even advised the op that a first time builder will almost never realize any savings but certainly can learn a lot to save money down the road. Can we get this discussion back to helping a newbie build a bike because until someone can present concrete facts proving me wrong like ive done to others, im not backing down.

mtbr member
    It was not said that it takes 6 months of building. But if you are trying to save money it does take time to find a good deal on the specific parts that you would want. That is what takes the time. you advice has consisted of telling OP he doesn't need a stand when he has said he was going to get one and to buy another bike and harvest the mediocre parts and sell the rest. If he wanted to be stuck with parts that the company decided he could have bought a complete bike in the first place and it could be specialized and quality parts and not bikes direct parts.

mtbr member
    you are such an unknolwedgeable person it's disgusting! lol, I didn't know I needed to make a youtube video of me sliding a seatpost into a tube and locking it down with a clamp. or putting my wheels on and shutting the quickreleases. WHY ON GODS GREEN EARTH DO YOU NEED A STAND TO BUILD A BIKE? explain the role that a stand plays in building a bike? I wonder if you've even ever built a bike with the answers you are giving, they are so ridiculous. And the fact that it's carbon is irrelevant. people act like carbon magically implodes during assembly without a torque wrench. torque wrenches are for inexperienced dummies. Have you ever seen someone use a torque wrench to put lugnuts on a car wheel? technically the instructions call for it, but people that have experience and know what they are doing don't need to do it.
    "torque wrenches are for inexperienced dummies"? This is the worst advice I have ever heard on this site. Proper torque values on fasteners, (especially when mating to carbon) is paramount to a safe and reliable build.
    The negative rep will be from me. You will be able to tell by the signature, and the fact that I used a Torque wrench set to 5.6 nm to give you proper rep.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    "torque wrenches are for inexperienced dummies"? This is the worst advice I have ever heard on this site. Proper torque values on fasteners, (especially when mating to carbon) is paramount to a safe and reliable build.
    The negative rep will be from me. You will be able to tell by the signature, and the fact that I used a Torque wrench set to 5.6 nm to give you proper rep.
    LOL! The + rep will be from me. You will be able to tell by the signature...

Maybe the brick is used to ensure proper torque without a repair stand to secure the bike??

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It was not said that it takes 6 months of building. But if you are trying to save money it does take time to find a good deal on the specific parts that you would want. That is what takes the time. you advice has consisted of telling OP he doesn't need a stand when he has said he was going to get one and to buy another bike and harvest the mediocre parts and sell the rest. If he wanted to be stuck with parts that the company decided he could have bought a complete bike in the first place and it could be specialized and quality parts and not bikes direct parts.
    Again tell me how the xt, xtr, and xo parts from bikes direct are different from what the "name brands" put in their bikes. Nobody said anything about mediocre parts, just showing him how to get better prices on best stuff without spending "6months" looking. Lets get off the stand issue, for the last time you dont need a stand to build a bike, nice to have but unnecessary. He said hes gonna buy one, great. Stop putting words in my mouth and putting misinformation out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Let me repeat myself. Torque wrenches are for inexperiences dummies. Id love to put a hidden camera on a pro wrench and see how often they use torque wrenches. Its CARBON fiber, not silk fiber. You know carbon, the same things diamonds come from. A little common sense goes a long way, the op is a mechanic by trade for chrissakes
    Ps i also said torque wrenches arent crazy expensive like someone else made them out to be! Lol

The Original Suspect
    Let me repeat myself. Torque wrenches are for inexperiences dummies. Id love to put a hidden camera on a pro wrench and see how often they use torque wrenches. Its CARBON fiber, not silk fiber. You know carbon, the same things diamonds come from. A little common sense goes a long way, the op is a mechanic by trade for chrissakes

Also graphite...one of the softest known materials!

T.W.O.
    Ken and everyone I think I got it figured out. Grab some popcorn.

Yes, I suggested the first thing to get is a bikestand it's no brainer, sop, then njoy said he uses a DIY contraption mojo finely referred to as a crapper. I asked how are you even going to install say a crankset and bb. Cp not understanding the context went on and explained how to do it.

I said, I can see that it can be done but not ideal. Not saying that bikestand is a must. He didn't get it. Now it's on, or how he put it? I'm not backing down. That's when we start seeing his flip flopping the context to fit his new agenda.

See, he's a thin skin noobs who's not going to be told he's wrong. I'm quite certain 3 things would happen on this thread.

One it would turn into a rep party, two, cp would be ban, and three, this would get binned.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Also graphite...one of the softest known materials!
    ...and if you really want to nitpick, some types carbon fiber is also called "graphite fiber".....it all depends on what temperature it is made at - and also the manufacturer's sales guy selling the stuff to you.

mtbr member
    Ps i also said torque wrenches arent crazy expensive like someone else made them out to be! Lol
    Then I guess I will volunteer for you to put a "hidden camera" on me then. While I would not consider myself a "pro wrench", I do build bikes all day long for a major bike retailer. All day long the stem binder bolts, bar face-plate, cable anchor bolts, caliper mounting bolts, rotor mounting bolts, BB cups, crank bolts, seat post clamp bolts, etc, are all torqued to spec. I especially pay close attention to torque specs when building my personal stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Ken and everyone I think I got it figured out. Grab some popcorn.

Yes, I suggested the first thing to get is a bikestand it's no brainer, sop, then njoy said he uses a DIY contraption mojo finely referred to as a crapper. I asked how are you even going to install say a crankset and bb. Cp not understanding the context went on and explained how to do it.

I said, I can see that it can be done but not ideal. Not saying that bikestand is a must. He didn't get it. Now it's on, or how he put it? I'm not backing down. That's when we start seeing his flip flopping the context to fit his new agenda.

See, he's a thin skin noobs who's not going to be told he's wrong. I'm quite certain 3 things would happen on this thread.

One it would turn into a rep party, two, cp would be ban, and three, this would get binned.

lol, why would I get banned, I'm not the one being antagonizing and doing name calling. I continually try to present facts. on 2 occassions you said a stand was a must before finally conceding that you've never built a bike without one but supposed it could be done. I'd love to know what I've flip flopped on? Bottom line, I could take the op's frame and build it to a reasonably high end spec in under 1 month and under 1500 bucks. I'm saying one month because I'm allowing for time to sell off parts under my donor bike scenario. Personally, I think the op is making a big mistake in going high end on his first build for a few reasons.

1. my personal opinion is that you should start on lower end bikes to help develop a feel and appreciation for the better bikes.
    2. Expensive high end parts often aren't the BEST part for us casual riders. i.e. if your a pro racer with sponsorship that doesn't have to pay for parts, you will go with lightweight over durable parts that function equally well.
    3, If he truly takes on this endeavor solo and makes a serious mistake it could be very costly. I'd rather strip a thread on a Suntour crank than a XTR crank. I don't expect this to happen he's an experienced mechanic but still, it's possible.

Obviously the op probably should re-evaluate what his ultimate goals are. You don't expect someone to say "I've never ridden a bike before, I want to build my own to save money.....oh and by the way, I want to build it with all the highest end parts that exist" Quite frankly, I think it's a foolish endeavor but when involved in forums I do my best to try to answer the questions that are asked not just inject my opinion on the question being asked.

you guys seem to derive so much pleasure from your forum rantings. I have no friggin idea what this whole "rep" thing even is and really dont give a **** if I have any or not. And I love being called a noob. just because I"m new to your forum doesn't make me new to the world of cycling. you keep building your over priced bikes and I'll keep building my value bikes that equally or outperform yours.

T.W.O.
    Again tell me how the xt, xtr, and xo parts from bikes direct are different from what the "name brands" put in their bikes. Nobody said anything about mediocre parts, just showing him how to get better prices on best stuff without spending "6months" looking. Lets get off the stand issue, for the last time you dont need a stand to build a bike, nice to have but unnecessary. He said hes gonna buy one, great. Stop putting words in my mouth and putting misinformation out there.

Hmmm! You are really a noob. The $2500 bd bike advertised 3x10 XTR dynaSys contain only a few XTR parts. Fsa cranks and bb, ultegra 11-28 cassette and knc chain and the list just keeps growing. Slipping grip? Op would ended up spending dollars tryoing to save pennies.

You are not the first genius to have the eureka moment, also why at the beginning and the end on the riding season bd's frames are flooding ebay and CL.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Then I guess I will volunteer for you to put a "hidden camera" on me then. While I would not consider myself a "pro wrench", I do build bikes all day long for a major bike retailer. All day long the stem binder bolts, bar face-plate, cable anchor bolts, caliper mounting bolts, rotor mounting bolts, BB cups, crank bolts, seat post clamp bolts, etc, are all torqued to spec. I especially pay close attention to torque specs when building my personal stuff.
    in all honesty, I have no beef with using a torque wrench. considering the bulk of things like stem bolts, deraileur clamps, bottle cages and shifter and brake levers all use a couple of different sized bolts, it's super easy to use a torque wrench. If I spent a ton of money on a high end carbon frame, I would take out my torque wrench and be safe rather than sorry. But as it pertains to the general buildability of a bike, plenty of bikes on the road are doing just fine without torque wrenches being used on them, even carbon bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Hmmm! You are really a noob. The $2500 bd bike advertised 3x10 XTR dynaSys contain only a few XTR parts. Fsa cranks and bb, ultegra 11-28 cassette and knc chain and the list just keeps growing. Slipping grip? Op would ended up spending dollars trying to save pennies.

You are not the first genius to have the eureka moment, also why at the beginning and the end on the riding season bd's frames are flooding ebay and CL.

The bike I was referencing is here Save up to 60% off Titanium Mountain Bikes - 2011 Motobecane Fly Titanium

Lets look at all the specs. Kindly tell me what is wrong with FSA K-light carbon cranks??? thats an upgrade from xtr in a lot of peoples books! ANd obviously if you have an FSA crank it's going to come with it's matching BB! and are you really going to complain about a kmc chain? lol give me a break! the brand of chain should be the least of your worries, its the cheapest part of the drivetrain!

The bike comes with XTR Shifters, Front and Rear Deraileurs and an XT 11-36 cassette. Oh yeah by the way, this is all latest and greatest 10spd drivetrain, not previous generation 9 speed. now I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with 9speed and it is preferable to many but since the op seems to be interested in building up a high end machine, why wouldn't we want latest and greatest technology??
    Avid XO brakes and Ritchey WCS bars, stem, seatpost etc round out the bike. Thats a pretty high end build. Not the highest, we don't hve carbon bars, stem, etc but cmon, the guy said he was trying to build himself to save a few bucks. The first place you save in doing a build is by going with quality aluminum over carbon(half the time aluminum parts weight the same as their carbon counterparts)

mtbr member
    Chains are much more expensive than front derailleur. So $2500 for handlebars, stem, saddle, shifters, derailleurs, brakes and rotors, tires and tubes, maybe front derailleur, maybe seat post and clamp. Since he already has rims and a fork. That is a good deal? Then have to sell off the other parts. You could get the SRAM xo groupo brand new for $1500 without shopping around and don't need to sell anything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm done, op my pm box is open if you want straight talk and advice about how to build up a bike. I'm sure that we all want you to have a successful build but somewhere along the way we all forgot that there are multiple ways to skin a cat. As a fellow clydesdale, I can offer you insight into some of the durabilty issues bikes will present to you as they are numerous.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast