1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by njoypow View Post
    Geez...Seems ur experience lies manly in your fingertips mr 6000 posts... the dudes trying to build a bike and everyone is shredin him. I build race jeeps bra....these are bikes
    Explain to me how you'd install the crank and bb for starter

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I dont know because I havent done it but I will get r dun

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    im sher madscientist will figure it out. Most off us have changed out our BBs since we were kids. Just cuz you have coin now and a job where you dont have to do anything..i.e. 6,000 posts, doesnt mean you have to shred on the dood who is just getting into the sport. This is the noob thread and no one can even answer if the frame is the right size? That was a general question that endend up gettin flamed in the noob section. I got so bored as soon as I moved to PA that I went on here....YOU GUYS ARE NOODLES At least i know the reason I never heard of this site when i lived in mammoth

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by njoypow View Post
    im sher madscientist will figure it out. Most off us have changed out our BBs since we were kids. Just cuz you have coin now and a job where you dont have to do anything..i.e. 6,000 posts, doesnt mean you have to shred on the dood who is just getting into the sport. This is the noob thread and no one can even answer if the frame is the right size? That was a general question that endend up gettin flamed in the noob section. I got so bored as soon as I moved to PA that I went on here....YOU GUYS ARE NOODLES At least i know the reason I never heard of this site when i lived in mammoth

Something is wrong with you, you should have it checked out. How did I shred MS, hmmm?. Don't worry about my coins, and my posts as I have plenty of both, you are more than welcome to check my profile

Also genius, internet is the worst place to fit a bike, I bet you've done that since you were a kids, eh? This is a noob forum so many posts here do not know any better, and many vet participate because they can help out, not because we are know it all, but certainly, collectively we have made more mistakes than any noobs, that's how people learn.

Mr. helpful do you even know what frame MS want to build up? and your first suggestion to him is to use a bucket and some brick? Go troll somewhere else boobs.

The neg rep is from me, so don't ask

Flow like water
    I love to help out new people. Heck, I'm new to mountain biking. I did turn wrenches in a bike shop long time ago. All I want is to see madscientist have some idea that this can be a big job. Some of us have jobs, and have limited time to build stuff at home, as fun as that is.

I've been collecting parts for a Surly Krampus frameset which I hope to get in December. I have spent more money than I would like to admit to. I have also been unsure about component choices. I obsessed over brakes for weeks, before finally deciding what I could afford, what would fit the bike, and which adapters I would need. Still need to buy a headset. The part numbers don't line up for me. I see recommendations about what to get for this frame, but do not see those exact part numbers on the online marketplaces.

I did buy a $200 bike from Craigslist so I do actually ride. I have lots of bike wrenching experience, though that is a couple of decades out of date. The bottom brackets are different, shifters are different. Nothing I can't figure out, but it all takes time.

Enjoy the journey. Just don't expect it to be real fast or real cheap.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Um really? Just did it the other day. Why is it hard? Put the wheels on the bike and lean it up against the wall

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    Um really? Just did it the other day. Why is it hard? Put the wheels on the bike and lean it up against the wall

That I can see, not ideal but it can be done, but a bucket and bricks on a carbon frame is a horrible idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I am 6'2" 240lbs.... is this the right size frame for me?
    I looked up the frame geo, and depending on your build it may be a BIT large for you (25.1" effective top tube length, 33.1" standover height) but it's likely in the ballpark and can be dialed in for you with the right seatpost/bar & stem combo.

mtbr member
    I have not seem anyone hammering on OP. telling someone that building a bike can take a while and cost a lot is true. I just paid 170 dollars for my handlebars and due to them be back ordered and getting the wrong ones it took 4 weeks. That is handlebars. I have paid about 1g for rims and tires, stem, and pedals. You can get a bike for that. So yeah it can be expensive. I also have built 4 bikes and still take them to the LBS to get certain things done, I am sure others do not but I don't have the tools or knowledge. I enjoy building them though. Having a stand is nice (I have one) but not a necessity. I feel like my skill is more suited to commuters and back up bikes. I still feel like my main mountain bike needs to get difficult work done by the lbs due to the fact I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That I can see, not ideal but it can be done, but a bucket and bricks on a carbon frame is a horrible idea.
    Dude wtf kinda cranks do you install? It is not hard to build a bike, especially on a new frame. Removing a crank is FAR more difficult than installing one. Installing a headset can be tough without proper tools but its $10 and 5 mins for an lbs to do it. Everhthing else on a bike is bolting on simple parts. At worst the inexperienced needs a good torque wrench.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    just for the hell of it, lets review installing a bb. step one measure bb shell determine if its 68 or 73mm. Apply grease to threads inside bottom bracket and on threads of outboard bearings. Screw on outboard bb bearings using appropriate spacers based on headshell. Tighten to proper spec. slide drive side crank through bottom bracket. Slide on crank arm on other side. install bearing tension setter thingy (sorry brain fart on what that piece is called) tighten hex bolts on non drive side crank arm to spec. Voila. simple instructions for your standard outboard bearing crank ala Shimano. WHAT IS SO HARD?????? WHY WOULD YOU TELL SOMEONE THEY NEED TO SPEND $100 ON A STAND???????
    Does a stand make things easier? yes. Is it required? absolutely not. do you carry a stand with you on the trail when things break? lol

mtbr member
    Are you replacing a bottom bracket on the trail? I would probably walk home. But it does sound easy now that you put it that way. You are telling someone to get a torque wrench that costs a lot. The bottom bracket is definitely not the most difficult part of putting a bike together. You going to measure and cut a fork on the trail? You going to install the headset without tools, use your multitool and a rock? You absolutely don't need a stand but it is nice. There are lots of tools required to build a bike that would not be cost effective to buy to use once. That is why I do what I can and when I need special tools go to the lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jrogs View Post
    Are you replacing a bottom bracket on the trail? I would probably walk home. But it does sound easy now that you put it that way. You are telling someone to get a torque wrench that costs a lot. The bottom bracket is definitely not the most difficult part of putting a bike together. You going to measure and cut a fork on the trail? You going to install the headset without tools, use your multitool and a rock? You absolutely don't need a stand but it is nice. There are lots of tools required to build a bike that would not be cost effective to buy to use once. That is why I do what I can and when I need special tools go to the lbs.
    I agree that there are things that it's worth having the lbs do because the amount of times that you are going to do them doesn't justify the cost of the tools. With that said, what planet do you live on that a torque wrench is expensive? cutting a fork? A hacksaw blade is a $1!!! I live in NYC. I barely have room for my clothes never mind a basement "man cave", garage, workshop, shed, etc and I have had no problem building up numerous bikes. Bottom line the op needs realistic expectations and saying he can't build a bike at all, or that he can't build one without a stand is utterly ridiculous. That is what other posters did.

T.W.O.
    just for the hell of it, lets review installing a bb. step one measure bb shell determine if its 68 or 73mm. Apply grease to threads inside bottom bracket and on threads of outboard bearings. Screw on outboard bb bearings using appropriate spacers based on headshell. Tighten to proper spec. slide drive side crank through bottom bracket. Slide on crank arm on other side. install bearing tension setter thingy (sorry brain fart on what that piece is called) tighten hex bolts on non drive side crank arm to spec. Voila. simple instructions for your standard outboard bearing crank ala Shimano. WHAT IS SO HARD?????? WHY WOULD YOU TELL SOMEONE THEY NEED TO SPEND $100 ON A STAND???????
    Does a stand make things easier? yes. Is it required? absolutely not. do you carry a stand with you on the trail when things break? lol

Dude chill. OP is not spending your money or mine on any bike tools, if you are cool with building the whole bike from the frame up I'd love to see that on youtube. Can it be done? absolutely! Is it a good idea? absolutely not!

OP has a carbon FS frame and want to build it from the frame up, one of the point he asked in his op was cost effectiveness. Which has different answer, yes and no. Yes if you want specific parts on the bike and learning as you go, and no, it would not be cheaper than buying complete bike or a groupo/build kit.

Since op did not mention the budget(if he did show me where I missed it), I'm not going to assume that he does not have any to spend, just because someone is new does not mean they are poor as well Last thing you want when building a bike from the frame up is not to have proper tools. It's not like he picked up the bike on craigslist for cheap and want to learn how to wrench it.

I've done my fair share of trailside repair using whatever available but I'm certainly not going to recommend anyone to do that at home everytime, WTH is wrong with you, stop screaming

edit: OP just to give you a point of reference, LBS would charge $100-170 to build a bike up from the frame when you bring them all of the components. Smaller job would be $10-25 like headset installation, adjustment, etc.
    Last edited by mimi1885; 11-24-2012 at 10:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Dude chill. OP is not spending your money or mine on any bike tools, if you are cool with building the whole bike from the frame up I'd love to see that on youtube. Can it be done? absolutely! Is it a good idea? absolutely not!

OP has a carbon FS frame and want to build it from the frame up, one of the point he asked in his op was cost effectiveness. Which has different answer, yes and no. Yes if you want specific parts on the bike and learning as you go, and no, it would not be cheaper than buying complete bike or a groupo/build kit.

Since op did not mention the budget(if he did show me where I missed it), I'm not going to assume that he does not have any to spend, just because someone is new does not mean they are poor as well Last thing you want when building a bike from the frame up is not to have proper tools. It's not like he picked up the bike on craigslist for cheap and want to learn how to wrench it.

I've done my fair share of trailside repair using whatever available but I'm certainly not going to recommend anyone to do that at home everytime, WTH is wrong with you, stop screaming
    you are such an unknolwedgeable person it's disgusting! lol, I didn't know I needed to make a youtube video of me sliding a seatpost into a tube and locking it down with a clamp. or putting my wheels on and shutting the quickreleases. WHY ON GODS GREEN EARTH DO YOU NEED A STAND TO BUILD A BIKE? explain the role that a stand plays in building a bike? I wonder if you've even ever built a bike with the answers you are giving, they are so ridiculous. And the fact that it's carbon is irrelevant. people act like carbon magically implodes during assembly without a torque wrench. torque wrenches are for inexperienced dummies. Have you ever seen someone use a torque wrench to put lugnuts on a car wheel? technically the instructions call for it, but people that have experience and know what they are doing don't need to do it.

T.W.O.
    you are such an unknolwedgeable person it's disgusting! lol, I didn't know I needed to make a youtube video of me sliding a seatpost into a tube and locking it down with a clamp. or putting my wheels on and shutting the quickreleases. WHY ON GODS GREEN EARTH DO YOU NEED A STAND TO BUILD A BIKE? explain the role that a stand plays in building a bike? I wonder if you've even ever built a bike with the answers you are giving, they are so ridiculous. And the fact that it's carbon is irrelevant. people act like carbon magically implodes during assembly without a torque wrench. torque wrenches are for inexperienced dummies. Have you ever seen someone use a torque wrench to put lugnuts on a car wheel? technically the instructions call for it, but people that have experience and know what they are doing don't need to do it.
    A know it all do not need technical instructions or proper tools Do you suggest the OP follow your instruction? Youtube vid? I'd love to see how you put up the entire bike not grips, seatpost and reflectors. Headset, bb, and bike adjustment would be a nice welcome.

It's true, I'm not as knowledgeable as you. If you don't like to build a bike with stand then don't. We are not as smart as you to know that you don't need to baby the carbon frame because it's strong and will not implode, who cares about the scratches on the new carbon frame build right? Who cares about torque, if you overtightened the bolts no problem, call it learning curve?

No, I've not build a bike without the bike stand before, or ever, why?. I learned it the easy way. I bought my first bike from LBS, then picked up a few tools as I go, now I have plenty. Except for facing and alignment tools, I have all of them to build the bike from the frame up, which I do all the time. Sometimes I build up a few bikes just for the heck of it, and yes, I still don't have the mad skillz you have. Next time I'm in NYC, I'd sure like so hook up and learn something from you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Let me catch up guys.... you guys are all too helpful.... I just ordered some specialized s works carbon handlebars... is 640mm the correct length?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Let me catch up guys.... you guys are all too helpful.... I just ordered some specialized s works carbon handlebars... is 640mm the correct length?
    Personal preference. Long bars can always be cut shorter. Make sure you get proper clampsize on your stem. It mist likely is 31.8 as opposed to 25.4. Most importantly, don't torque those stem bolts without putting it in a stand first

T.W.O.
    Before you order you should pay a visit to a Specialized dealer and check out the options. Look around, see how they the bike's built, how they route cables, etc. I like wider bars for trail riding. My riser bars are around 680-750mm. Unless you are riding in a tight singletrack you can go with a bit wider bar. It's a personal preference so try both extreme one that too narrow and one that too wide, you'd figure out what you like pretty quick that way.

If you plan to do more trail riding/ AM then wider bar is usually the preference for most. Specialized only make 31.8(oopps) diameter so order the appropriate stem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Before you order you should pay a visit to a Specialized dealer and check out the options. Look around, see how they the bike's built, how they route cables, etc. I like wider bars for trail riding. My riser bars are around 680-750mm. Unless you are riding in a tight singletrack you can go with a bit wider bar. It's a personal preference so try both extreme one that too narrow and one that too wide, you'd figure out what you like pretty quick that way.
    I guess u dont read, he already said he ordered it!

T.W.O.
    L I just ordered some specialized s works carbon handlebars... is 640mm the correct length?
    I guess u dont read, he already said he ordered it!
    Oh yeah, he's not sure that's why he asked, and that why I answer in timely manner just in case he'd want to change.

Stop with the personal attack non-sense, it's getting old.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Oh yeah, he's not sure that's why he asked, and that why I answer in timely manner just in case he'd want to change.

Stop with the personal attack non-sense, it's getting old.
    Pointing out misinformation is not a personal areack

T.W.O.
    Pointing out misinformation is not a personal areack

Hmmm!

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Oh wow, this thread is a complete mess. Where to start... don't order parts or frames before checking to make sure that is what you want. Post here before you order the parts. The frame may be too big or it may fit you great. Those size bars should be fine, especially since you already purchased them. I ride with bars that wide.

For all of you new people. Mimi has very valid points. You can put a bike together without a stand and tune cables, but a bike stand makes life a lot easier. The OP can hang two hooks in the ceiling of his garage or whatever, but a brick on a 5 gallon bucket. Really? I would not want to set a frame worth 2k on that and work on it. That is ghetto.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks again everyone.... I just figured the bars I purchased would be adequate for the situation... the bars are 640mm long... 31.8mm clamp.... 6 degree up sweep... and 8 degree back sweep.... low rise.... I had a few questions about brakes and gear sets and shifters. .. what is a good brake set up? Avid juicy ultimate carbon? I see the newer bikes run avid xo? Im not sure? I have a 9 speed sram xo rear derailleur and it is a long cage? A friend sold it to me for $30.... i would need 9 speed sram shifters for this correct? this should work right? Sorry for all the questions....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast