1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

New wheelset or not?

I will try one more time to ask this question as maybe it was not so clear before. Will I see a big difference if I change my current wheels (Mavic X138 -98 model, sachs centera hubs, ss spokes) to Mavic crossrides. The reason I am asking is because a new set of whelsets is quite pricey and if I will not see a big change then there is no need to do such an upgrade and since I cannot try them I am counting on those that have more experience on this matter. Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Markleo; 05-24-2006 at 02:02 AM.

Freshly Fujified

Hard to say

What are your expectations? Are you looking to drop the weight of the bike? Are you looking for a stronger wheelset that will enable you to do more aggressive riding? Are you looking to go faster? Your question of "will I see a big difference" is far too vague for anyone to give you an answer. If you clarify what your expectations are of the new wheelset over the old wheelset, then you will have a much better chance of getting informed replies.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Fat, but working on it...
    Since this is in the "Beginner's Corner" I'll assume you are a beginner. In my opinion, no, you won't see much of a difference. Being a beginner, you will see the most difference by just getting out there and riding. Make your legs and your lungs stronger. That will benefit you far more than a new set of wheels will.

I'm more of a "ride it until it breaks, then replace it" kind of guy anyways. I don't mind having a bike with lower end components. When they break, I replace them with something a little better. But as long as they are still working fine, I don't replace them.

ride hard take risks
    Leave the wheels alone, hows the fork working

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmCosmo
    ...as long as they are still working fine, I don't replace them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Leave the wheels alone, hows the fork working
    the fork is and I will leave the wheels alone. Thanks!!!!