1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: New Wheelset

mtbr member

New Wheelset

So I'm thinking that I'd like to pick up a new disc specific wheelset, but I really have no idea where to start looking. I've read some reviews, but I'm not actually sure exactly what I want or need, so it hasn't been all that much.

Notes:

-I ride mostly XC, possibly getting a little more aggressive.
    -Fairly concerned about weight.
    -I'm a girl, I weigh like 140ish.
    -And a college student, so not overflowing with cash.

So... any ideas?

Also, would I be better off posting in the wheel/tire forum?

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    Sun Ringle and Mavic are good popular brands. You wont get real light wheelsets for cheap unless it's one of those crazy deals. As a referance DT Swiss 240S / Mavic 819 Disc Wheels
    are going for $263 and $369 at Jensonusa.com and they weigh 844g up front and 953g out back. they also have Shimano Deore Disc/Rhyno Lite Wheelset for 89 dollars and weigh 1150g in front and 1320 in back. I would say spend as much as you're comfortable spending on the wheelsets because they are a big part of the overall bike weight and feel.

David
    I am selling an 08 Recon 351 for sale. PM if interested. 7-1/2'' Steerer Tube

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    P.S. Jensonusa also has Shimano Deore Disc/Ds-2 Wheelset for 89dollars and they weigh 890grams and 1100 grams respectively. you could post a in the wheel frum to see what people think of these wheelsets and ones like it.

Davdid
    I am selling an 08 Recon 351 for sale. PM if interested. 7-1/2'' Steerer Tube