mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New wheel set for a new mtn. biker

Hello all I have been riding about a month now after about a 15 year break. I purchased a 2013 trek marlin and I am not satisfied with the fork. I have been reading the info on the suntour upgrade program. I will probably be purchasing a fork from them and I want to buy a good fork with the qr 15 type stanchions. The problem now is my hub will not work and after searching forums and the internet I am having a hard time deciphering information on wheel sets. I want a front wheel that is as good as the bontrager AT-650 or a little better. I have had no problems with the rim so far but I have only put a little over 100 miles on the bike. I do not want to spend a lot of money on the wheel now because I would rather spend the money on some other things for the bike. If any one has some suggestions or can give me some information on where I can get some info on wheel sets I would appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I forgot to add that I will be running a tube also

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pkennedy83 View Post
    I want a front wheel that is as good as the bontrager at 650 or a little better.
    Does this mean you want to put a 27.5" wheel on the front? Regardless, if you are going from a QR on the front fork to a through axle, you'll need a new wheel to go along with that new fork (unless you have a Stan's hub which has an insert).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    the bontrager rim is a 29'' but the name on the side is AT-650. That is what I am looking for is a new wheel but I don't know where to start lol. I see so many different wheels and I don't know which ones are better or worse. Like I had mentioned I just want a wheel that is affordable but will take a little bit before it gives out. The terrain I ride on has not damaged the stock rim yet so something as good as the stock wheel or a little bit better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wiggle has a front wheel for 139 shipped with both 9mm and 15mm end caps included.
    Hope Proo 2 hub with stainless bearings and ArchEx rim.
    wiggle.com | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Front Wheel | MTB Wheels
    The rear is loud when coasting. It may get quieter with a medium weight grease.