1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New wheel set for a new mtn. biker

Hello all I have been riding about a month now after about a 15 year break. I purchased a 2013 trek marlin and I am not satisfied with the fork. I have been reading the info on the suntour upgrade program. I will probably be purchasing a fork from them and I want to buy a good fork with the qr 15 type stanchions. The problem now is my hub will not work and after searching forums and the internet I am having a hard time deciphering information on wheel sets. I want a front wheel that is as good as the bontrager AT-650 or a little better. I have had no problems with the rim so far but I have only put a little over 100 miles on the bike. I do not want to spend a lot of money on the wheel now because I would rather spend the money on some other things for the bike. If any one has some suggestions or can give me some information on where I can get some info on wheel sets I would appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I forgot to add that I will be running a tube also

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pkennedy83 View Post
    I want a front wheel that is as good as the bontrager at 650 or a little better.
    Does this mean you want to put a 27.5" wheel on the front? Regardless, if you are going from a QR on the front fork to a through axle, you'll need a new wheel to go along with that new fork (unless you have a Stan's hub which has an insert).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    the bontrager rim is a 29'' but the name on the side is AT-650. That is what I am looking for is a new wheel but I don't know where to start lol. I see so many different wheels and I don't know which ones are better or worse. Like I had mentioned I just want a wheel that is affordable but will take a little bit before it gives out. The terrain I ride on has not damaged the stock rim yet so something as good as the stock wheel or a little bit better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wiggle has a front wheel for 139 shipped with both 9mm and 15mm end caps included.
    Hope Proo 2 hub with stainless bearings and ArchEx rim.
    wiggle.com | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Front Wheel | MTB Wheels
    The rear is loud when coasting. It may get quieter with a medium weight grease.