1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: New to tubeless

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New to tubeless

Set up my 29er tubeless, Mavic SLR wheels and Bontrager 29-4 team issue up front/ 29-4 expert out back. The front tire has held super nicely, but the rear tire seems to loose pressure every 2 days or so. Should I just add some Stans sealant?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    How much pressure and how long have they since conversion? If it's only a couple pounds don't worry about it. Just top off before riding. If its going flat then somethings wrong. I check for leaks by pumping the tire to around 35psi and spraying soapy water on it. It'll bubbly from where it's leaking so you can see where the problem is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I fill it to 30psi and the rear slowly drops in pressure. It went flat in 4 days. It's a new setup (less than a week old). I do notice my front tire is labeled tubeless, while my rear tire is not. I don't want to add Stans if not needed, but if that's the solution then I will. What's the solution? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    A non tubeless tire generally requires a double shot of Stan's, 4oz. If you can't find an obvious leak you can try adding 2oz of sealant and go from there. Have you been riding it? It seems that the best way to get Stan's to do its thing is by riding.

mtbr member
    Adding stan's won't hurt, I always run sealant. Almost all my bikes are setup tubeless, losing air over the course of several days is no biggie. Unless it's a dedicated UST tire and rim combo some air loss is inevitable, don't read into it too much. A new tubeless setup will lose a little more quickly until it "settles in", I usually find they may even go flat the first night or two when new. Just pump it up, if the tire won't air up you'll have to investigate why the beads won't stay seated and start over.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Filled it up to 30psi and took it for a long spin. It held just fine. I will keep an eye on it and refill if needed on my next ride. If it continues to need more air every few days, I'm going to add some Stans and hopefully that will take care of it. Thank you all for your help.

mtbr member
    I am confused; did you run Stan's or not? If not, and they are not UST, you need to run Stan's.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Stans sealant was used. Rear apparently didn't seal as nicely as the front.

mtbr member
    Then I concur with the soapy water treatment, try to find the spot that is leaking. I have had issue with the valve stem and the tape in the past.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT