1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

New to travel adjustment and need advice

Hello,

I just had my fork on my Horsethief converted to 130mm from 120, as I thought I'd like to have a little more squish for an upcoming trip to CO and Utah (first trip with this bike). I was surprised at how much just 1cm has changed the feeling of the bike. I've only had one ride on it so far, and it was on a fairly XC trail (for which this bike is overkill, admittedly), but I felt much more upright on the bike and it felt a bit monster truck-ish compared to 120. I want to try it out on a more technical trail before I make a decision to switch it back to 120 or not, but I have a couple of questions:

Will it help to flip the stem down and/or change the spacers?

Should I reduce the PSI in the fork?

Should I just go back to 120 and reduce the PSI in the fork for the chunkier stuff?

Does the bike really feel that different with a 10mm change in front travel or is it all in my head?

Sorry if these seem like obvious questions to all, but I'm new to the world of FS. Any constructive advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

mtbr member
    I'd stay with 130 and get used to it. Many people end up liking the slightly slacker head angle it gives them. You'll appreciate that on your trip out west, I think, as it will decrease the chances of sailing gracefully over the handlebars. If you are running 20-25% sag, go to a more, "all mountainish" 30% sag. Don't go any lower than that, or it will begin to feel very mushy. (Oops, make that 15 to 25% with 25% being more "All-Mountain").
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 07-09-2013 at 08:33 AM.

mtbr member
    delete
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by progfan1 View Post
    Hello,

I just had my fork on my Horsethief converted to 130mm from 120, as I thought I'd like to have a little more squish for an upcoming trip to CO and Utah (first trip with this bike). I was surprised at how much just 1cm has changed the feeling of the bike. I've only had one ride on it so far, and it was on a fairly XC trail (for which this bike is overkill, admittedly), but I felt much more upright on the bike and it felt a bit monster truck-ish compared to 120. I want to try it out on a more technical trail before I make a decision to switch it back to 120 or not, but I have a couple of questions:

Will it help to flip the stem down and/or change the spacers?

Should I reduce the PSI in the fork?

Should I just go back to 120 and reduce the PSI in the fork for the chunkier stuff?

Does the bike really feel that different with a 10mm change in front travel or is it all in my head?

Sorry if these seem like obvious questions to all, but I'm new to the world of FS. Any constructive advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    My thoughts Pro,

Changing the stem and/or spacers will mostly change your ergonomics.

Like stated before I don't believe I would go more than 25% sag. It tends to get very soft with 30% and above.

120mm and lower pressure? You may run into too much sag in an attempt to get the feel you're looking for.

10mm makes a big difference to me. I have a Talus in which I can switch from 140mm to 120 mm on the fly and it totally changes the feel of the bike.

Good luck.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Depends on the angle of the stem, but flipping it would likely be too drastic of a change. I would use the spacers to lower the bars, if possible.

10mm change in travel equals roughly .5 degree change in head angle, so the difference is not in your head. I like my 140mm fork in CO and UT, so I vote for testing out 130.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The more you ride it the less it will feel different ,if you are going to ride it in more wide open fast areas leave it as is ,if it slower mor techy change back to 120mm.