1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: new tires

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

new tires

I need a new set of tires for a Gary Fisher full suspension bike. I currently have WTB weirwolf tires 26X2.1. I live in the Southeast so most trails I ride are packed and usually damp to muddy. I usually stick to single track with the occasional fire road. I have been looking at the Panaracer Fire XC and the WTB velociraptors. I notice that I loose a lot of traction going uphill with my current rear tire due to the slick terrain. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i've heard very good things about the velociraptors rear tire. That's probably going to be my next set. Heard good things about the Panaracer's too but i'm going with the WTB's i think.
    '01 C'dale SuperV500

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Should I go with the race or comp? I found a pair of kevlar as well. Are the kevlar and the race the same thing?

Hardtail Warrior
    Kevlar and race are the same. The comp are going to have a wire bead which basically means that it's heavier. Although it may not be much heavier it is going to be rotating weight so it will feel heavier than it is. The other good thing about race/kevlar tires are that the compounds typically last longer. I know a few people who use Fire XC Pro tires and are really happy with them. I have Weirwolfs right now and I think the Fire XCs are my next tire. If you do get the Fire XC though make sure to get the 120 tpi. Those are the high quality ones that are good tires. You might regret getting the 60 tpi version though they are usually much cheaper.