1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: New Tire Help

mtbr member

New Tire Help

Looking to replace the rear tire on my NRS3.

I will be racing on single trac that is mostly sand, black dirt, occasional gravel, and the usual rocks, stumps, roots and grass. (Wisconsin).

Do you have to replace the whole tire or can you use the same rim and just replace the tread? Whats the pros and cons?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Picture Unrelated
    Go down to a local bike shop and ask them what a good tire for your area is, shops are usually pretty good about stocking and recommending good tires that work well in your local conditions. You can replace just the tire, you don't need to replace the rim unless it is damaged in some way.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Fat-tired Roadie
    IIRC, you've just started riding.

I think you're best off staying away from purpose-built racing tires for now. They're fast, fun, and require a certain amount of finesse to keep under the bike and not flying off into the bushes. You're faster when you're riding.

Wisconsin is supposed to have a pretty huge racing series. (I bet you already know this. )

http://www.wors.org/

I bet if you search the XC racing/training forum, you can find some discussions between Wisconsin-area racers about this subject. As mentioned above, local knowledge is king when it comes to tire selection.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx