1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

New to the sport (riding pics)

I quit bmx and just started riding mountain bikes about 3 weeks ago. Here are some pictures of last weeks ride at 7 springs located in Pennsylvania.

small drop

33 ft table top

the jumps

bridge

rock section

hip

table

mtbr member
    Thats prety awsome. I wish i had some sick places to bike like that around me.
    awsome pics.

mtbr member
    7 springs is a cool place to ride. i havent rode the downhill course yet, i just ride the xc trails. their downhill stuff looks like a big improvement over last years stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Pretty badass my friend, wish there was something like that around my way, I've gotta build my own out of stuff I don't think people will miss...

mtbr member
    nice man that looks really fun! the ladder bridge would be perfect to manual across, have you tried it at all?

bi-winning
    It looks like you are having a blast, and that is good to see. However, I'm afraid you might be riding that little bike beyond what it was designed for. What model is it?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    It looks like you are having a blast, and that is good to see. However, I'm afraid you might be riding that little bike beyond what it was designed for. What model is it?
    Its a Iron horse maverick 3.0 disk

I agree with you but its all I can afford starting college this year and it seems to hold up pretty well becides the chain pops constantly doing downhill riding.

Hardtail Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannarino
    Its a Iron horse maverick 3.0 disk

I agree with you but its all I can afford starting college this year and it seems to hold up pretty well becides the chain pops constantly doing downhill riding.
    Hey man, I'm in the same boat as you. My Ibex only has 80mm travel in the front and nothing in the back. I've been riding it way harder than it was designed to be used for over two years and it's still going strong. Just ride it as much and as hard as you can until it tells you otherwise.

Also to stop the chain from popping off you can get a chainguide. It's a very small investment to stop a huge headache.

Get busy!!
    Good pics man. Nice air for being a rook... just kidding.
    07 M4 Rockhopper Pro (Mango)
    Fox Fork 100mm / Chris King Headset

mtbr member
    Monday August 4th?

thats my girl friend in the background of the 7th shot, we stopped to watch you hit the table top for a bit and I went down to get one of my cameras but never found you guys again.

Really want to try some MTB shots, I do a lot of motor sports photography.
    http://www.thesbimage.com/

maybe next time, Im the tall old dude riding a Prophet

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nice shots, keep em coming.

dirt rider
    Very nice.

Just ride
    Looks like you are well on your way with the whole mountain biking thing!