1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007

new to the sport(only 12)

im only 12 and i ride around cheap walmart mtb. (im on my dads account)would the bike be ok for my age and for a beginner

I just let one RIP
    Welcome to the sport! Anything is better than nothing! BUT...make sure to have someone who knows bikes make sure your Walmart bike is safe to ride. They are not usually assembled very well by Walmart employees who are paid a buck a bike and slap 'em together as fast as they can. A bike shop will probably charge you $30-60 to tune-up the bike and make sure it is assembled properly.

But having said that, start saving pennies from allowance, yard work, birthday gifts, etc. You'll be much happier on something from a bike shop, even if its "only" a $250-300 model. The bike will work ten times better and last 100 times longer.

And always wear a helmet! -- even if it's a cheap helmet from Walmart. The helmets at Walmart may not be the most comfortable, light, or ventilated, but they'll still protect your noggin.

good luck, and have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You are probably growing so fast that you will outgrow bikes very fast. So, you won't have to worry too much about it lasting for many many years. I think as long as you are enjoying the bike that you have, it will be just fine for you for now. But, if you really like the sport, it wont hurt to keep saving up for another bike in the future.