Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

new to the sport and need a bike...HELP

622 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JimC. 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just started getting into mountain biking and I am sick of using my buddies mongoose.
I saved up some money and i am ready to buy a decent hard tail in the price range of 500 to 700 bucks. I have been looking at bike like the Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Rainier and Yukon, and a list of others. My buddy says that I should look for the bike with the best components like Shimano Deore LX and things like that, and SRAM?. I have no Idea about anything and was just wanting to get a little advice before I throw down my money.

Thanks
Gilles:madman:

#2 ·
Hello Gilles

Welcome to the Forums. Your buddy's advice is sound in that you want to spend your money wisely and get the best components for the money you're spending. Unfortunately, there is no quick and easy way to explain all of the differences in products, which ones are better than others, etc., etc. To further complicate things, the whole "Shimano vs. SRAM" debate (or any other manufatcurer vs. manufacturer debeate for that matter) just muddies the waters.

So far, the bikes you are looking at are nice places to start. The Rockhopper series is very good, as are the Giant bikes (the Rainier is the better spec'd of the two you mentioned). I would go to your LBS and look at the bikes that fit your price range (spend the $700 if you can afford it, you will get a much better bike) and test ride a few. Once you've narrowed your choices down, come back and tell su the 3 or 4 bikes you have on your short list, then we can help explain the pros and cons of each bike.

Lastly, your buddy seems to know a bit about bikes. Ask him to come with you and help you select a decent bike. Keep in mind that the "coolest looking" bike isn't necessarily the best, and while things like color are somewhat important, 3 months from now, you'll be kicking yourself for buying the bike with the cool color as opposed to the bike that's built better and has better components.

Bob

#3 ·
Bob pretty much sums it all up, but I would like to add that you should check out the websites of the components (namely Shimano and SRAM) to get an idea of where the components stackup in the company's lineup. Then based on the components that fit in your budget, you can create a shortlist of the bikes that match the price and the components that you want.

#5 · (Edited)
Short course in components...

the LX is as low as you should go for parts that will perform (Shimano); in SRAM, stick with X9, anything less wears out fast.

In the "good-better-best" picture, both fall between good and better. Best would be XTR (XT-Racing) and X0 from SRAM is great too... but very co$tly. LX, or XT, and/or SRAM X9 will serve you well.

On another note....FIT! Treat this purchase like buying shoes: no fit, lotsa pain. the cockpit (butt to hands on bars) should feel like the bike was made for you...not too stretched out (weight on hands feeling) or too upright (beach cruiser upright feel). Get your buddy and the shop to make sure the bike fits you correctly.

Bob *Clyde* has given you lots of great advice too. Take your time, don't rush.

Good luck, Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.