1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

New to the sport!!

Hey guys,

I'm a lifetime BMX'r and have decided to delve into the mountain biking world. I'm looking for some input on bike options, I see the numerous differnet types of bikes available but don't really know the difference between them. The hardtail, full suspension, freeride, etc... I will be doing mostly recreational riding with the occasional "tough" trail ride. Any input would be helpful, I was thinking about this for my beginner bike [EMAIL="http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=genesis&bike=Wahoo_Disc"] - what do you think?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    It's certainly hard to go wrong on a hardtail with a 100mm fork, at least until you figure out how or what you want to ride.

At that pricepoint you're not going to find much variation between components, so I'd search around for the best price on the best-fitting bike, regardless of brand.

Pay attention to the fork, though. Compare reviews here on MTBR and maybe you'll end up with a fork more worthwhile than another.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

...the wave won't brek
    Test ride as many bikes as you can.

Try different models form the same manufacturer, different manufacturers, different models of the same bike...

Don't rush the decision.

Find the bike that feels the best to you.

Form the type of riding you said you want to do a Cross Country Bike should fit the bill nicely.

There are several types of Mountain Bikes

Cross Country (XC)
    Free Ride
    Urban/Jump Bikes
    All Mountain Bikes
    Down Hill

And I probably missed some

Cross Country is where it all began - Fast twisty trails with small (up to about 2') drops and log obstacles and the like. Can be Hard Tail (like the GF bike you linked to) or full suspension bikes with up to about 4" of travel in the suspension - the Lightest of the MTBs

Free Ride - Taking pre made trails out of the equation and riding where and when you want over what ever gets in your way. Can be a hard tail of full suspension similar to an XC bike, but some what heavier

Urban/Jump Bikes - Like the BMX of the MTB world Urban assault, Jump bikes are for just that jumping (the Urban bikes and Jump Bikes share a lot of design characteristics.

All Mountain Bikes - Heavy duty full suspension bikes that can take a bigger hit then an XC bike usually about 6" of Travel full suspension bikes

Down Hill - Think of this as the Super Duty Mountain Bike. 8" of travel 40+ Lbs of bike designed to go bombing down the mountain and fly off of huge drops at a high rate of speed.

If I have forgotten any thing or miss represented any of the categories please feel free to correct me. I am an XC guy so I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the other aspects of the sport

I hope this helps

Good Luck

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just get a tricycle and stick to the driveway!!! you ole New Englander!!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Tricycle

The way things are going here, I might have to take that route!!!