1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

View Poll Results: 2010 Breezer Lightning Pro or 2013 Specialized Hardrock

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Specialized Hardrock

2 40.00%
  • Breezer Lightning Pro

3 60.00%
    mtbr member
    May 2013

New question here. New Specialized Hardrock or 2010 Breezer Lightning Pro

Looking to buy a mtb, plan to ride trails and some light commuting in an urban environment. Been looking around at some bikes at a price point I think I may be able to convince my wife into approving, around $700.

I was looking at some specialized bikes and I see people saying the hardrock is a good entry level bike, and their website says MSRP is $700. Alternatively, I have found someone trying to sell a 2010 breezer lightning pro for $800. I have done some research and this seems like an alright deal, and a badass bike.

Opinions on if that is a good price, or which one would make the most sense to buy as more of an entry level rider. FWIW, the breezer is a 26", and the hardrock would be a 29.

thanks very much,
    Pat

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The Hardrock is definitely a good entry-level bike, and would be a fine commuter. That being said, go for the Breezer as long as it's in good shape. It's a much better bike overall, and if you get into mountain biking it will be easier to upgrade into a high-end machine.

Also, the Hardrock has an aluminum frame and the Breezer is steel, so you should think about the differences in ride and which you might prefer. I'm personally a fan of steel frames.