1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New question here. New SPD Clipless Pedals - The One Shoe Wiggle

Just picked up a new pair of mountain biking shoes with my regular Shimano SH51 cleats. When clipped in, I can move the left shoe left and right and the pedal/cleat seems to allow much more movement than it should.

My road bike and mountain bike have the same Shimano pedals. My old shoes and new shoes have the exact same cleats. In my old shoes they clip in to both road and mountain bike with a little bit of movement left and right but not much. In my new shoes, the right shoe has limited side to side movement but the left shoe, on both bikes, has so much left and right movement that my heel, with little effort, makes contact with the crank arm.

Cleat positioning seems fine. When clipped in and neutral I have about an inch to inch and a half between my shoe and the crank.

Trying to reduce the motion so when I pedal hard uphill I my shoes don't rub on the bike. I've also tightened the pedals where it's fairly difficult to clip in. I'm not sure if for some reason the left cleat is a tad smaller than my right cleat and both cleats on my old shoes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Is not amused
    Could be that if your cleats are worn out and one has more play in it or the cleat could be in fact a tad smaller which would be really weird. The tension could be off, not by much but that could be it as well. I know what your talking about though with the play. I had this going on recently, right side *on TIMES though* just bumped the tension all the way up for a ride then dropped it back to where I normally have it, now both sides are good to go. Forgot to add, it could be just the spring tension needs time to break in which I think was the case with mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the reply. Odd thing is, these cleats are brand new so I know it's not a wear issue. My old cleats with hundreds of miles on them have less play than this new one on the left foot. Maybe I'll bring them back to the store and see if another pair manages to minimize wiggle.

Thanks!

Is not amused
    I would definitely recommend bringing them back to the LBS. Mine were also brand new with some play. If the second pair does the same, I would try with the tension like I said above. Best of luck.