mtbr member
    Jun 2004

new rider - which of these two bikes?

I am new to MTB. I started riding recently to get more excersize and have been using a 12 years old POS. I have been researching and have riden a few bikes in my quest to get a new, plusher more comfortable bike. I know I want full suspension for comfort. I mainly ride streets, but some local trails look mighty appealing and go on trails occassionally. I am 6'1" and weight heavy at 260lbs (riding more, I hope to lose some weight!).

I have narrowed down two choices in my price range: a 04 Jekyll 600 w/ disc brakes, and a slightly used 04 Stinky. The Jekyll is new at LBS, priced at $1500. The Stinky is $1100. I am really torn between these two bikes and they both feel good when I ride them.

Any advice on what I should do? I am concerned that most bikes aren't designed to support someone of my weight. Any comments on these two bikes, their components, or overall value?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by seenett
    I am new to MTB. I started riding recently to get more excersize and have been using a 12 years old POS. I have been researching and have riden a few bikes in my quest to get a new, plusher more comfortable bike. I know I want full suspension for comfort. I mainly ride streets, but some local trails look mighty appealing and go on trails occassionally. I am 6'1" and weight heavy at 260lbs (riding more, I hope to lose some weight!).

I have narrowed down two choices in my price range: a 04 Jekyll 600 w/ disc brakes, and a slightly used 04 Stinky. The Jekyll is new at LBS, priced at $1500. The Stinky is $1100. I am really torn between these two bikes and they both feel good when I ride them.

Any advice on what I should do? I am concerned that most bikes aren't designed to support someone of my weight. Any comments on these two bikes, their components, or overall value?

Thanks in advance!
    They're both good bikes. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I would say go with the Stinky, it looks a little beefier. Given the type of riding you're planning to do I don't think your weight is going to be too much of a problem.

Another option is go with one of the new Kona's Clydesdale (Hoss or Hoss-dee-lux). They design for larger riders like yourself. They're HT, but given the kind of riding you going to do (mostly street) you really not going to miss the the rear suspension. With one of these Clydesdale bikes you can move up to some more aggressive riding without having to worry about destorying the bike.

DOH!
    Definitely not the Jekyll. I have a "larger" friend that used to own a Jekyll and he destroyed it. Broke just about every part on it, including the rear swingarm. He wasn't dropping off cliffs, either, just trail riding. Between the two bikes you listed, I'd say the Stinky frame and parts spec would probably hold up better, thought you might go through a wheelset (or two).

If you like Cannondale, look into the Gemini. It's beefier than the Jekyll, and meant to handle more abuse, whether that's from the terrain you ride or just due to the stature of the rider. Or both. The buddy I mentioned above bought one; he loves it, and nothing has really broken on it.

There's a number of other frames out there that would suite your needs, but in general all will be of heavier stock...perhaps even labeled as "light freeride" or "agressive trail" bikes. Definitely stay away from ultra-light XC specific machines, regardless of what you LBS tries to tell you. Your size dictates you need a heavier, more durable bike. Yes, it'll weigh perhaps 30-34lbs, but it won't break after a half-dozen rides. Off the top of my head, perhaps look at a Jamis Dakar; I think it's in the same price range as the Jekyll / Kona, and it's a fairly durable ride as far as I understand.

Good luck! And have fun...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Get the Kona

I agree with the previous posts, the Kona would be the better choice. I just want to encourage you to get out and ride. I found myself at 220 pounds several years ago and was diagnosed with diabetes. I rode the old bike I had for a few months and then bought a good quality hardtail and hit the local trails. I loved riding on my new bike so it wasn't hard to force myself to exercise. I also hooked up with a local mountain bike club for rides and new friends.

Bottom line, I lost 40 pounds in six months. It's not that hard to doing something you enjoy. If you are like me you will lose the weight faster riding on trails because you have to put out more effort. Good Luck.
    Last edited by goldrush; 06-16-2004 at 07:49 PM. Reason: forgot something

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    These are 2 very different bikes. The Stinky is awesome for stunts, and if you want to lose weight, few things are better than pedaling a 45 pound bike up a hill. It will hold up 260 pounds anywhere, anytime, but its cumbersome on asphalt. The Jekyll is much lighter (I think it's 30ish but I could be confused) and you won't lose weight as fast, but you can ride longer and more comfortably on it. I don't think it will hold 260 pounds on bigger drops and such, but if your staying on the ground it should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for all the replies! I actually went with a third choice (if I had done more research I would have figured it out sooner): the Kona Coiler. New for '04, it's basically a Stinky w/o the bash guard (more gears), a couple less inches of travel, and Deore/LX instead of LX/XT. It is more of a XC than a DH bike.