1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New Rider - Northern MA, Southern NH

Decided this was the year I'd finally purchase a mountain bike.

After years of not riding I thought I would get something entry to mid-range. Retail store bikes did not cross my mind - I looked at a few LBS, but knew that buying online I would get the best deal.

Considering buying something new it'll get scratched up, maybe dinged from what I foresee as the type of terrain I plan to ride on.

So after a week of looking online I decided to go out and pick up a 2010 Cannondale F7 MTB. Paid $350, not sure if that's far more than I should have paid or not, but the purchase has already been done. No turning back now.

Condition: 9/10

I got an additional set of rubbers (CST Caballero), a Bell seat, a travel pump and a night riding lighting.

The picture is not mine, but a image found on Flickr. The image displays the same tires as what was given to me in the sale.

Only thing I plan to do at the moment is change the grips. They're yellow and red - both colors that I personally don't like.

----------------------

By the way my name is Santiago, Santa for short. I'm close to the NH border so I'll plan to take a few trips up soon to the White Mountains and do some exploring with the new purchase.

mtbr member
    Nice bike, decent price, welcome to the site.
    For grips, fwiw, ODI Rogue lock ons are my fav.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Santa - where are you in MA?
    You'll find there's so much great riding close to home that there's no need to burn a lot of windshield time heading north.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I live right along the border of Salem, NH. That's good to hear thanks for the input! I'll have to start riding and finding spots.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Close to home for ya, I believe you can ride Deer Jump Res, along south bank of the Merrimack, starting at the hotel right next to 93. Nothing extensive, but we used to have some fun over there. There were some great trails near the mall in Methuen, but they're long gone now.

Besides that, put Lowell-Dracut-Tyngsboro forest at the top of your list. Merrimack Valley NEMBA has a facebook page that should have a decent map. They also do a Tues nite ride that will not only give a great tour of the place, but also get you in touch with a bunch of other local riders.

Also, Harold Parker in Andover, Fort Rock in Exeter, Manchester watershed (FOMBA) trails are good spots to hit. There are trails in Kingston/Hampstead that you'd probably need a local to point you at. Ask around on the NEMBA site a bit and you'll probably be able to find maps and/or guides for these, plus a lot more.

If you get the urge to wander a bit farther west, out towards Groton and Leominster, shoot me a PM and I can point you at some decent stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Slapheadmofo I greatly appreciate the information. Luckily right up the street there is a path about a mile and a half long (circular path) and I took my first trip with the F7 and I must say I didn't stay clean for too long.

Harold Park in Andover is a spot I'd like to check out with the MTB. I've been hiking there, but this would a nice change on the bike.

Thanks again!