1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

New Rider looking for bike suggestions

Hello all! I'm currently looking for a new bike to start cross-training on since I do road racing with motorcycles. I honestly didn't know how many different options and mountain bikes there were out there until I started doing some research before making a purchase. I used to have an old Jamis Durango from years past when I was younger and rode everywhere, but I figured its time for an upgrade to start training on.

I'm trying to keep the budget somewhat low... my original budget was in the $200 range, but after doing some looking around I'm going to have to push that up quite a bit. The extreme upper end I really can afford right now (college student + motorcycle racing = broke) is $500, but I'd like to get something that will last some good amount of time.

I don't really want to buy new, and was looking to save some amount of money by going used. I've found a couple on ebay that I like the looks of, but I know looks don't really mean much in the world of performance. I'm mainly going to be doing trail riding around here locally in FL with some jumps and downhill areas, but as I'm in the military as well I don't know of the terrain/courses I might face later on down the line. I figured full suspension might cover most of the possibilities in the future, but I'm a total newb to all of this.

On ebay, I found a couple bikes that I figured might suit my needs including:

- Ibex Ignition
    - Gary Fischer Sugar 2
    - Gary Fischer Sugar 4
    - Scott Nitrous

I'm 6', ~180lbs (one of the other reasons why I want to get into cycling :P), would like something that has disc brakes, full suspension that will last a good amount of time and gives me the possibility of upgrading in the future, with a price limit of $500. Is this too much to ask?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I got mine on ebay too , a Cotic BFe. Its cool to get a nice frame for half the money. If you get a decent frame you can always upgrade the parts later when you have more dough. Its tempting to go cheap but i think with bikes it can be a false economy to a certain extent.
    Cant offer much advice as i'm a bit noob to this but you can always google what ya find on ebay for good info , reviews etc. .