1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

New rider, introducing myself.

I just signed up and thought I'd introduce myself and share the new hobby.

I've been riding my brother's old Diamondback mtb, but as I take more 20-30 mile rides on bike trails and commute 20 miles, I figured it was time for my own bike. I was shopping for a Specialized CrossTrail, Trek 7.2 FX, and Specialized Sirrus before I settled on my Raleigh Cadent FT1. I was hoping for something more like the CrossTrail, really tough and good for potholes and mild off-roading, but the Cadent just fit me so well. And all my riding is on the road anyway; I wanted to have my cake and eat it too, so it was just a matter of getting over that.

Besides, I have an old Schwinn Sidewinder (got it for free, I won't complain) that I plan to fix up for riding to the lake or to leave outside the grocery store. The most off-road I'll do is riding a dirt path, anyway, so it should hold up. Any recommendations on tires and shifters? That's what will need fixing.

I also have an old Panasonic Futura 10 speed. I'd be riding that a lot more if I could just get used to drop bars. But the Cadent is faster, lighter and feels better overall. What can I say, I'm a fan of straight bars.

Anyway, I'll be around lurking and learning.

I reckon y'all fixin to..
    Congrats. Welcome.

I am fairly new too. Only been around for about a month. Generally everyone is very friendly and helpful. Enjoy. See ya around!
    "Good health is the slowest possible way one can die."

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    welcome, congrats on the new purchase. my opinion is it really does not matter what you ride, as long as you ride..

keep the rubber side down and you'll be okay!!

mtbr member
    Welcome, I am kinda new myself. i have learned ton's in the past few months. There are many knowledgeable people here. Ride and have fun no matter what.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the welcome. Just took some pics, figured I throw them up here.
    Anyone know much about Panasonics? I heard they built frames for Trek for a while, but haven't heard much about them for modern bikes.

Someone junked this Panasonic Futura, and my brother salvaged it. Rides surprisingly nice.

The beater...

My brother's 10+ year old Diamondback. Has held up pretty well...granted, it hasn't seen any serious off-road trails, but has seen tons of use nonetheless

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Congrats on the new bike. I just bought i Raleigh Mojave 8.0 and i love it. Welcome!