1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: New Rider Here

mtbr member
    May 2006

New Rider Here

I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I just joined. I am also looking into some fun riding. I just bought a new bike. It is a 2006 Diambondback Sorrento. I am from Brooklyn NY and am looking for some places to ride. Hope you guys can help. You can reach me at xtera03@nyc.rr.com

Thanks Kevinb

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by xtera03
    I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I just joined. I am also looking into some fun riding. I just bought a new bike. It is a 2006 Diambondback Sorrento. I am from Brooklyn NY and am looking for some places to ride. Hope you guys can help. You can reach me at xtera03@nyc.rr.com

Thanks Kevinb
    Welcome to MTBR it's a great place. What type of riding are you doing

http://forums.mtbr.com/new-york/

pronounced may-duh
    Welcome to the forum. I lived in Brooklyn (moved out 2 years ago) and I'm sad to report that there are not many good places to ride that are convenient. Most if not all the city parks are illeagal. Enforement in Prospect and Central parks was tight when I was there and you would get a ticket if caught on a trail. In Queens, Forest park is your best bet. Alley pond park in Queens is OK also. But all the city parks are somewhat small with no big hills to ride up and down. So to do big boy riding you have to go out of town. Jersey has some good spots. Westchester also has some good ones. But the drive is long and tolls and gas, etc... It's just not worth it. That's half the reason I moved.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I hear what you are saying about Brooklyn. I go out to Prospect park and have to deal with all the crazy road bikes out there. They think that they own the damm park. I am looking to get into some downhill. We go up to Hunter mountain in the summer. I dont mind the driving to go somewhere nice for the day. I read something about Stewart Airport . That there are alot of trails up there. Can you guys recommend someplace good for a beginner.

ride hard take risks
    If your into DH go check out the DH/FR site, you can X post. There are alot of riders from your area over there, EastCoastHucker, shookdh & many more.

http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-freeride/

pronounced may-duh
    Prospect blows and it's totally illeagal and watch out for gay sex near the zoo. For beginers, definatly try Forest Park in Queens. Forest has, well, more forest. Meaning more single track trails and less fields and roads and stuff. To do good DH you have to go outa town. Post in the NY forum. Dog provided a link. Those guys will set you up. But Hunter is like 5 hours one way. That's insane!