Thread: New rider

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

New rider

Hey, I'm getting the fam into trail riding. Actually we'll be doing pavement paths till everyone is comfortable.

I've acquired bikes all the way around except for myself. So I've come across this bike,

2001 Specialized FSR Comp Enduro Mountain Bike. Several upgrades including Carbon Fiber cranks. Complete tune up performed and both front and rear brakes replaced by Bicycles Inc. Ready to ride! $500 Firm.

Should I stay away from this deal due to the age and or style of this bike for my 1st real mtb?

My other choice is a 2012 Spec Carve Comp 29er for $850 that is like new.

Thanks for any info or insight you can provide.

mtbr member
    Go with the Carve. That FSR is heavy and dated. You'll have a lot more fun on a modern hard tail 29er.
    Also if you get hooked and buy a high end bike, you'll alway have a place for a HT 29er.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Not for nuthin', but you can't possibly say what someone is going to have more fun on - personally, I owned one of those FSRs (and a few from the years following them), rode the hell out of it, and had a better time trail riding it than any hardtail I've ever owned (which is also quite a few). It was pretty much the bike that got me to give up on hardtails for trail riding in general; and I know lots of people who have no desire for a HT 29er. Weight also has little to nothing to do with how much fun a bike is too for many riders. Everything comes down to personal preference. Test ride, test ride, test ride.

My biggest issue with that bike in particular, depending how hard you plan to ride it (which doesn't sound like an issue at this point), is the chainstays on the early ones had a bit of a habit of cracking near the welds by the bottom bracket (though I rode mine really often and fairly hard, which I'm sure played into it). It does appear that one has the updated stays, which were beefed up in the right places. Other than that, if you're really not looking to do a lot of actual off road riding, it's probably not worth getting a full suspension bike and dealing with the extra maintenance that comes along with them in general (though for trail riding, I'll take an FS probably 9 times out 10).

If that FSR fits and you could score it for say $400-$450 and also maybe take it to a decent shop and have them give it a once over before the sale is finalized (ask them to look for chainstay cracks), I personally like those bikes a lot and have had a TON of fun on them. As always YMMV. For bike paths and smooth dirt trails, or if you're into 'efficiency', a hardtail might well be a better fit for you.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for both responses... both sides duly noted.