1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2011

New Recon Gold TK

Pretty excited to get this fork on in place of my RST Deuce. Just need to wait for a friend to help me cut down the steerer and take the crown race off of my old fork.

Any opinions on the Recon? I know it's nothing too special but I do plan on eventually getting another bike when I graduate.

EDIT: I'll try to get some pictures up once its on
    Last edited by Sean831; 10-02-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Cow Clicker
    Congratulations! Do you know how to get the race onto the new fork?
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'll be interested I how you like this fork. I have the same rst on my bike now and am looking for an upgrade and was considering the recon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    On my Trek I went from an RST to a Tora 318 which was replaced at no cost by Rock Shox with a Recon Gold. I found it to be an excellent fork. Stable, plush, predictable, rebound adjustment and light as a feather compared to any RST fork. It's never given me any trouble. If this is your first real fork, I suspect you're going to be very, very happy.

Fat-tired Roadie
    IIRC, the RST Deuce is the one with the big honkin' steer tube for a couple of Cannondales?

You may need a new headset too.

When I killed my last fork and before my current one presented itself, I did some research and was leaning toward the Recon Gold as a replacement. If you're not inclined to whine about grams, I think it should be a terminal upgrade fork.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm not sure how to get the race off, but I think it just pops right on to the new fork right? I'm having someone that has a tool to take it off help me with it and help with the cutting down the steerer tube and moving the star nut.

the recon has the 1.5" steerer (pull-off from another Cannondale) which is the same as what my Cannondale has so the headset shouldn't be an issue.

Cow Clicker
    This might help:

No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I got a cheap deal on the Recon Silvers for my wifes bike to replace the dart 3's. As soon as my wife had learnt the basics the too big spring and lack of rebound adjust was becoming a problem conering at speed as she is very light. Definately a worthy upgrade - enjoy.
    Remember the golden rule with new forks - measure twice, cut once

mtbr member
    You will like that fork. My wife has one on her Cannondale. The times I've rode around on it, it was pretty impressive. Not what I expected.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just replaced my Suntour 80mm with a Marathon LR and it made a load of difference. I just took mine to my LBS and had them install it for $30. Saved me about an hour and $60 in tools and whatever human error that might have occurred.
    They call me non-sequitur