1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: New Racer

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New Racer

I ride a 1996 Raleigh M900 w/ E Gel Form saddle, I plan on my first race being a WORS race of 10 miles (2 laps) in a semi-competitive series of XC on August 24th. I have been riding at least 5 miles a day for the past two weeks and I was wondering what else I should do before my first race.

Nuts
    I race in the WORS and have a great time doing it! The ten mile citizen class is a blast, but I would recomend getting out and doing a lot of 10 to 14 mile hard rides to get use to the distance. Don't worry if you can't get out and ride a lot of technical single track, but find some good rolling hills, put it in the biggest ring you can handle and gooooooo!

Just Ride
    Jun 2008
    Way to stay committed to riding each day. But yeah I'd recommend riding at least 10 miles instead of 5. And then maybe push it hard on a couple days but then take the day after off (or just go on an easy ride) for some recovery. You don't want to go too hard for too many days in a row.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks. I ride at least 5 miles a day, some days I anywhere between 10-20 and then I have my days where I go 25. Don't worry about the rolling hills advice, that's all it is in northeastern Wisconsin.