1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

the new proud owner of Trek Cobia 29ner

So last night i went and ordered a Trek Cobia, they had to order it from Trek and then put it together for me, so next Wednesday it should be ready and that's good, b/c my buddy as a ride lined up for us on Thursday .. He said where hes taken me the bike will do will, the ? is how will i do... I am a newbie..

Did i pick good w/ a Cobia... !! i hope i did!!!

so here is my question:
    1) what do you guys suggest for a camel back, i need space for a spare tub, a multitool,
    2) he told me to get gloves - should i go full finger or just half...
    3) i went w/ a Bontrager Helmet...

Getting Excited to ride for the first time

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: the new proud owner of Trek Cobia 29ner

Congrats! Good luck on your ride. I might look into getting a set of decent pedals... It'll make a huge difference. As far as hydration packs, I went with the camelbak mule because it has a lot of pack space without being too cumbersome and it has a 3l reservoir. Gloves is a total personal preference. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I guess i'm a total N00b - my 24 ounce water bottle seems like plenty for me! But then, I make a point of keeping my riding fairly short - my longest trail ride to date was 80 minutes and I haven't tried to pedal in the high heat yet.

Gloves - personal preference for sure - i prefer half finger for the trail riding I do, and I can operate my iphone easily!

There is no substitute for a good helmet!

mtbr member

the new proud owner of Trek Cobia 29ner

Full finger Fox Dirtpaws. Your hands will thank you first time you eat it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Congrats on the bike. Trek Cobia is a sweet bike. I was checking one out a few weeks ago and if I was in the market for a new 29er hardtail that bike would be near the top of my list. Great specs for a first bike.

I have a Camelbak Rogue with a 2L reservoir and just enough space for a pump, spare tube, repair kit and of course phone and/or wallet if needed. For summer definitely recommend the fingerless gloves. I thought 2L reservoir would be plenty but on some longer summer rides I could have used a 3L reservoir. I take a bottle on a frame cage too but depending on the trail conditions that can get quite dusty/muddy and not great to drink out of so the Camelbak is essential.

Anyway enjoy that new bike. Let us know how the first ride goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    so i am suppose to pick the bike up Wednesday - they ordered and put it together... and the weather forecast is rain all week... How am i suppose to jump on it and have fun if its going to rain. So it looks like my first ride on it, might be pushed back a couple days..

Kiwi_gr_Bike - the bike shop said its a nice bike, - i had looked at 3 - Cobia, Mamba, Marlin, and a Kona... - the Marlin looked cheap to me, the Mamba was nice, but if i was going to upgrade the parts i should go Cobia, So then it was down to the Cobia and the Kona - The Kona was nice - but $$ and wasn't looking to spend the extra couple hundred - so i went Cobia...