1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: A New Passion

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

A New Passion

I recently got interested in Mountain Biking. It seemed like it would be a very fun way to stay in shape and enjoy the outdoors. So after endlessly searching this site for days (my boss would like to thank you for cutting my productivity to nil) I felt I knew enough to start looking at some bikes.
    Being in college, my budget is limited. I do what all college students do when wanting to buy something: craigslist. After a day or so of searching i found a very very slightly used 2008 trek 4300. After a day of negotiations I got it got $250. I then brought it to my LBS to get it checked out. I knew enough about bikes to know nothing major was wrong, but just wanted to make sure.
    That is when they gave me the news. The bike, besides being a bit dirty, worked like it just been taken out of the box. Success! Bought a helmet, then I was good to go!
    Needless to say South Louisiana isn't know for it rolling hills and mountain peaks, but before I tackled anything I wanted to get used to the bike. I haven't rode since I was roughly 6, so this was pretty much new for me.After riding around my subdivision for almost an hour, with a slight break in there, I discovered two things:
    1. Wow, my legs are out of shape.
    2. When going over a curb don't go at an angle.
    The bike itself worked great. Everything shifts well, and the shocks, well, absorbed shocks. However, I am actually planning to chisel a seat out of some rough granite, because I think that would be more comfortable. My butt was in literal pain while riding. My legs were tired, but nothing too bad. Walking up the stairs was fine, but walking down about made me fall down a flight.

All in all, I believe mountain biking and I are going to have a wonderful relationship together

TL;DR
    Passion: Engaged

View bike at postimage . o r g/image/2fsfffoec/

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwhichisnt View Post
    2. When going over a curb don't go at an angle.
    That made me laugh. Just so you can learn from my mistakes, the same thing applies to going over fallen trees, in case you were wondering.

I wouldn't worry about your seat too much, I've been riding for years and the first few rides of the year are always brutal on the bum. Your body will get used to it, if it doesn't after a few weeks of good long rides then head off to your local bike shop and have them help you learn about sit bone width and what saddle designs mean. If they're really good they'll have a device to measure sit bone width and maybe some demo saddles for you to take out.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    That made me laugh. Just so you can learn from my mistakes, the same thing applies to going over fallen trees, in case you were wondering.

I wouldn't worry about your seat too much, I've been riding for years and the first few rides of the year are always brutal on the bum. Your body will get used to it, if it doesn't after a few weeks of good long rides then head off to your local bike shop and have them help you learn about sit bone width and what saddle designs mean. If they're really good they'll have a device to measure sit bone width and maybe some demo saddles for you to take out.
    Thanks for the advice.

Also, your sig made me laugh. Love that movie.