1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

New one here! Ideas for a XC Bike?

Hello to everyone! I'm new here, and obviously will bother you with the main simple question.
    I just moved here from Italy. There I used to ride a 250$bike bought in a place similar to COSTCO here.
    I did up to 150km a day, and would do road and off road, mud, rain, and sometimes small little bumps. It was a hard tail 26 so considering I'm 6.2 and weight 110kg, it was really bad. But I loved her and started out with her.. You know..it's all about the first one.
    Now I moved to NYC and obviously would never pay to bring that cheap thing overseas and decided to upgrade a little. I found a good deal on a new Cannondale 29er Trail 6, for 487$ (it was 650 and got discount).
    I didn't buy it yet, I need some advice.
    Considering a similar budget, what would you do? I would never think of doing any jumping in the future, I'm way to tall and it scares me a little, but I love bumps and off road forest. At the same time, I'll often be in the City and need something good for a bit everything.
    They told me the Cannondale is pretty good, has a great frame and can be easily upgraded in the future. The brakes are not that good..

I'll leave it open to the experts.. please help me, this time I WON'T buy a piece a cheap crap..

Forgive my english!I'm italian and will try my best with other posts..

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    I say go for it. It's a good deal on the bike, and if you're primarily riding in the city, those brakes will work just fine for you. I wouldn't sink a bunch of money into it though. A set of slick tires if you get more serious about commuting, maybe better pedals down the line, and if the brakes become a problem, some larger rotors or Avid BB7's.

Normally I'd say look used, but having the shop support is really nice to have, especially when you're new to an area. Not only that, but they'll likely help you out with some extra accessories like a helmet, gloves, etc.
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

That's true, you always get something extra in the deal. But since I'm pretty much a newbie what is the problem with the brakes and why would you suggest these others you said?and second, what if I didn't want only City?should I change it for something else..such as..? Thanks for the help, I'm eager to learn more about my future bike and what to expect from it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    When something breaks or starts to be a problem, then worry about it! Until then, ride, ride, ride, ride, ride!

The brakes on the bike aren't noted for being very powerful for disc brakes and can be a bit of a pain in the butt to adjust. They'll be fine, especially if you're not riding really aggressively. You'll find out what you may or may not want to change as you ride more. I wouldn't advise making big, expensive "upgrades" though. (new wheels, new fork, whole new drivetrain, etc)
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Ok so I will also forget the whole theorie "for that price you can find a used one that is much better"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat-tired Roadie
    Check out nycmtb.org. There's some MTB you can do in the city.

However, I gotta say living in Manhattan is the highest proportion of road riding I've ever done. It's a real pain to get to trails. From Queens, the Bronx or Staten Island it should be a lot easier. Maybe not much better from Brooklyn, though, unless you're far enough to own a car. There are trails on Long Island.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Fat-tired Roadie
    Oh, and since you asked - if I wasn't in a hurry, used. Though I was too lazy to look up that particular bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I live in Queens so it might be easier.. Please don't be the lazy guy, give it a look..!! Would you suggest a shop or internet for used?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have to admit, reading spec lists bores me. All $650 bikes compete with each other. So I'm confident you could do better used.

It doesn't sound like you've owned a bike that fit you well. So, start with shops. Since you have a discount available, pay attention to the specs on the used bikes. The discount's going to narrow the gap, but probably not eliminate it.

Check out Cunningham park within Queens. It's a bit beyond the last stop on the subway that goes there, but you're already on a bike, so making up that last distance isn't too bad.

Good luck!

Cannondale Snob
    The Cannondale is a very good platform for the type of riding you describe, and for the price you are paying you can't expect better equipment on anything else. The brakes will be better than the bike you rode in Italy, and if you ever decide they aren't good enough, upgrading them is cheap and easy.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs