1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New question here. New and need some advice

I am just about to make my first foray into MTB and I am struggling to understand what bike offers the best overall package. There are a few choices that I am limited to and would like some input on components and general thoughts on the models I'm considering. The three I'm looking at are:

SCOTT SCALE 660
    http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guid...#product-specs

BH BIKES
    EXPERT 27.5er 7.3 | BH Expert 27.5er | Official Online store of BH bikes

MERIDA MATTS TFS 900-D
    MTB Hardtails - Sport - Matts TFS 900 - Merida Bikes South Africa

I will generally be riding easy to intermediate cross country trails.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tom

mtbr member
    Either the Scott or the Merida (though I've not heard of Merida bikes before now) would work fine for your stated usages. Scratch the BH though as it's component spec is very bottom tier all around. The Scott and Merida both have much better, and pretty much equal, forks, brakes, and drivetrain. Some folks will I'm sure chime in with their preferences on Shimano vs Avid brakes and Rock Shox vs Manitou forks, but realistically, at the entry level, each brand of both items are very good for the price. Go with the one you like the looks of the best and can get the best deal on.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200