1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New Mtbr needs advice on first mt bike

I have ridden road about all my life and I want to get my first Mt Bike. I want to get a Trek hardtail and spend less than $1500.00. We have trails around Joe Pool Lake, DFW, Texas. What's the best bet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Go test ride some bikes pick one ,ride it into the ground,repeat. With in a price range bikes are pretty much alike. How did you chose your road bikes? No idea about the trails you wrote about,tell us what they are like.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Choice on roadbikes? Shot from the hip on choice. Went by fit and top tube length. All the roadbikes I have now, I built up from the frame. Thanks for the reply.

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    If you are set on owning a trek, then try out all the different models and see which you like best in terms of fit and comfort, then ideally look for what peaks your interest in terms of equipment on the bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The X-Cal and lower models are being dropped in favor of a lower grade line of X-Cal named range of bikes.
    The Superfly line will be expanded down a little with a Recon Silver model at the low end.
    Negotiate for a 13 Superfly AL. 1599 has been reported. Try for a little more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    im in dfw as well. went through the same scenario heres what i did...

go to as many bike shops as you can stand, ride as many bikes as you can.
    ride the cheap AND expensive ones regardlesss of your price range. youll soon figure out what "Feels" right

once you know what you are looking for geometry-wise research the parts that come on the bikes "in your price range". this was key to for me to know what kind of value im getting, "bang for my buck" if you will

for me once i got to this point i started watching craigslist to see if i could find something in my price range, used, with better parts.

i ultimately went that route but that is hit or miss.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: New Mtbr needs advice on first mt bike

Best new bike for the money. Online brand.

Best bike for the money: used.

In addition to proper frame size. Bike that fits you best, gotta experiment with fit adjustments, different saddle, handlebar widths, etc