1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New To The Mtbr and Mountain Biking$!$!$!$

Ok so me and a buddy just started MB. I went out and picked up a GT avalanche 2.0 hardtail. Was this a good choice for getting into the sport? What are some early upgrades that would improve my experience?

Also I am From Maryland and if anyopne knows some good trails feel free to fill me in

Thanks

mtbr member
    This is a good start to get on the trails. As far as upgrading wait until things break and then replace them with better parts, don't waste money now have fun and ride.

Just Ride
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, for starting that's a good bike to pick. My friend rode one for a while when he was starting and it held up nicely...that is until he started doing more free ride stuff with it. Ha

spec4life???..smh...
    Sure thats a great entry level bike and it will do just fine to start to develope skills and get into the sport.

Upgrades, I would consentrate on contact points first. They will provide you the best price/benifit ratio. Look at a new seat, grips, tires, and pedals first. These upgrades will dramaticly increase the enjoyment of riding your bike.

All other upgrades should probably come on down the road as the parts break. When they do dont go out and buy top of the line like XTR or XO, make modest a modest upgrade of the part that breaks. No need to spend more on upgrades than you did on the bike itself.

mtbr member
    May 2008

MD trails

I grew up just outside DC.

I used to ride all the trails around Clopper (Seneca) Lake until Shaeffer Farms opened. That was awhile back and there are lots of trails there now. Gambrills (sp) State park in Frederick has some decent trails that are fairly technical from what I remember. Also, tons of riding near Thurmont in the Watershed.

Patapsco (again, sp) near UMBC just off 95 below Baltimore is supposed to be good too. In NOVA there is Avalon near Braddock Rd off 495 - have not ridden there but that's supposed to be great also. When I was a kid we used to ride in the summer up at Whitetail Ski Resort. Lots of climbing if you're too poor to get a lift pass!

Bikecurious
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikeNC
    I grew up just outside DC.

I used to ride all the trails around Clopper (Seneca) Lake until Shaeffer Farms opened. That was awhile back and there are lots of trails there now. Gambrills (sp) State park in Frederick has some decent trails that are fairly technical from what I remember. Also, tons of riding near Thurmont in the Watershed.

Patapsco (again, sp) near UMBC just off 95 below Baltimore is supposed to be good too. In NOVA there is Avalon near Braddock Rd off 495 - have not ridden there but that's supposed to be great also. When I was a kid we used to ride in the summer up at Whitetail Ski Resort. Lots of climbing if you're too poor to get a lift pass!

Never heard of Avalon, did you mean Lake Accotink? That is right across Braddock from Wakefield, connected by a tunnel under the road so you can squeeze in a good bit of riding between the two. Good suggestion though, especially if you live anywhere near 495 because its about 1/2 mile from the Braddock rd exit on 495, which is prob not even 20 minutes (without traffic) from the MD stateline. Good variety of riding. Can also drive about another 20 minutes to Clifton and hit Fountainhead. Really nice trail. Does Wisp allow mtn biking? Might be kind of far depending on where you are in MD. 7 Springs or Whitetail could be closer.
    Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks everyone

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Meant Wakefield! Thanks.. What the heck is Avalon? Hmm, maybe I made it up.

mtbr member
    My first really good bike was a GT Avalanche. It's a pretty good bike. Don't get caught up in upgrades just yet. Ride your bike a lot and when something breaks THEN upgrade.

Yes, bikes are very expensive. You'll find a way to afford your habit, craigslist, eBay etc... I never pay retail for anything. I wait for a deal and then pull the trigger.

Welcome to the world of mountain biking!
    Last edited by Bobby Peru; 08-18-2008 at 07:39 PM.
    "Well I don't drink as much as I ought to."

~Jerry Jeff Walker~

mtbr member
    May 2008
    loch raven resevoir is pretty awesome. just rode 30 miles yesterday on the northern central rail trail which goes from cockeysville to york pa-flat and scenic for those long rides. check google maps for fire trails-i found some but i may be trespassing