1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

New to mtbr, first post

New to mtbr, first post-image.jpg

Hello everyone. My name is Brandon figured I'd introduce myself I'm from Temecula California. I was a bmx rider for 8-9 years and in the last 3 years I've developed more of a passion for trails and mountains. I recently picked up my 2000 psycle werks Wild hare. I've put some money into it and have more parts on order. I know most of the craze is focused on having latest and greatest, lightest and different. But after a few runs I can see this bike is going to be fun. Look forward to posting and chatting with y'all. -B

Old Fart Swamper

Cool-blue Rhythm

The only thing wrong with that bike izitz too clean :P

Welcome XD

New to mtbr, first post-dirty-good.jpg

Yeah that's puke juice above the shock on the top tube,, Just sayin..
    Scott Spark 760
    I clip In, got a better seat, and a dropper post.
    Other than It's Bone stock.
    It Just works :P

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That WH is sweet.

Try out a shorter stem when you have a chance - bet you'll dig it!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    That WH is sweet.

Try out a shorter stem when you have a chance - bet you'll dig it!
    Haha defiantly I have an eastern havoc on its way. I'm 5'11" and that hunch over doesn't help at all. Thanks a lot

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    The only thing wrong with that bike izitz too clean :P

Welcome XD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dirty Is Good.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	938474

Yeah that's puke juice above the shock on the top tube,, Just sayin..
    Haha thank you. Wish I could get some rain down here. Just dusty tails for the most part.

mtbr member
    very cool, I would suggest a bike fitting as the rider position is pretty different than what you are used too. Takes about 1.5 to 2 hours but makes a world of a difference. Ohh, and welcome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
    very cool, I would suggest a bike fitting as the rider position is pretty different than what you are used too. Takes about 1.5 to 2 hours but makes a world of a difference. Ohh, and welcome.
    Thanks for the advice, I've never heard of a bike fitting. Is it a popular thing that bike shops do?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    No mud yet but found some new wooded areas. But after today's ride need to replace the cassette body. And all my parts show up after the weekend New to mtbr, first post-image.jpg
    Last edited by Bmitchley; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:47 PM. Reason: Misspelled and miss worded

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmitchley View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I've never heard of a bike fitting. Is it a popular thing that bike shops do?
    Not popular yet, but in my opinion the best money you can spend on your bike... for an example:

Body Geometry Mountain Bike Fit | Erik's Bike Shop | Performance Bike Fitting

This was the service I used, it is at a local chain store, different from where I purchased my bike. If you go off season you can get for 1/2 price or lower.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Before you pay for a fit, try it yourself. Google "Peter White fit."
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Before you pay for a fit, try it yourself. Google "Peter White fit."
    I am a bit skeptical of this for a few reasons:
    1 As a beginner we have no basis to interpret what is right and what is wrong. What feels right on a stand may not on a trail.
    2 Most of us noobs do not have a drawer full of every stem length and angle, configuration of handle bar rise and angle, crank arm length to just name a few of the items that are configured and recommended with a proper fit.
    3 If someone like me has prior injuries, there is no knowledge of where to tweak things to compensate for a bad knee, back or wrist.
    4 The very act of trying to view the angle of various parts of your body while pedaling will change those same angles.

No I think there are plenty of areas to save money, but if fit is king, it should not be on fit.

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: New to mtbr, first post

I still think I'm right.

Truth be told, I paid for a fit a few years ago myself. And, it's some of the best money I've spent on cycling. I probably wouldn't do it again, but I had some misconceptions about how to set up a road bike that were preventing me from finding my own way to a good setup. And now I have a sense of how my bike should feel.

One of the things I like about the Peter White article is that it's mostly subjective. I think he gives enough guidance for people to find their own best fits where forums tend to give a collection of hints and tips that don't hang together and I worry that high-dollar fits, for mountain bikers, result in a better bike setup for riding a trainer than a trail. We all need to take ownership of our own fits and technique sooner or later and I think that article provides a great starting point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    No mud yet but found some new wooded areas. But after today's ride need to replace the cassette body. And all my parts show up after the weekend Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	493.8 KB 
ID:	938842
    Hey B.,

Cool trail shot man, always love seeing these 'Hares in the wild!

Any luck with Chuck over at Rainbow Cycles getting you some decals? If you don't hear back let me know, I might have some spares from a previous resto. Don't hold me 'em, I can't recall if I had the older or newer decals as spares.

Keep me posted, thanks!

Peace,

-D-

p.s. I'm shooting some photos this weekend of my 2000 WildHare now that I finally finished the resto-build. My 2004 Screamin' Demon is half way there, it'll be nice to have the cross bike and the do-it-all bike back up and rollin' again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I still think I'm right.

Truth be told, I paid for a fit a few years ago myself. And, it's some of the best money I've spent on cycling. I probably wouldn't do it again, but I had some misconceptions about how to set up a road bike that were preventing me from finding my own way to a good setup. And now I have a sense of how my bike should feel.

One of the things I like about the Peter White article is that it's mostly subjective. I think he gives enough guidance for people to find their own best fits where forums tend to give a collection of hints and tips that don't hang together and I worry that high-dollar fits, for mountain bikers, result in a better bike setup for riding a trainer than a trail. We all need to take ownership of our own fits and technique sooner or later and I think that article provides a great starting point.
    I'm gunna have to agree on both sides. Although I'm considered a noob I think getting a fitting for your bike is like having a tailor made suit made for you. Yeah you can buy the one off the shelf and just wear it to a few occasions but if you frequently use that suit then you more then likely are going to want something tailored to your specific size and needs. The fitting for bike sounds like a sound investment. I am looking into it. But all that aside I think that it might fit someone who is into street cycling and racing just because that is all about the science of speed and accuracy of the rider and their bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by neo_pop_71 View Post
    Hey B.,

Cool trail shot man, always love seeing these 'Hares in the wild!

Any luck with Chuck over at Rainbow Cycles getting you some decals? If you don't hear back let me know, I might have some spares from a previous resto. Don't hold me 'em, I can't recall if I had the older or newer decals as spares.

Keep me posted, thanks!

Peace,

-D-

p.s. I'm shooting some photos this weekend of my 2000 WildHare now that I finally finished the resto-build. My 2004 Screamin' Demon is half way there, it'll be nice to have the cross bike and the do-it-all bike back up and rollin' again!
    Hey D,
    Yeah called the minute you gave me their info, nothing yet shot them an email too. Nothing yet but staying optimistic. Super excited to see your restoration pics. If you do just let me know we can work something out but if not I've been a graphic designer for a a few years I'm sure I could make something very close and have my buddy print. Just rather get something legitament then a repo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    But all that aside I think that it might fit someone who is into street cycling and racing just because that is all about the science of speed and accuracy of the rider and their bike.
    Fit is definitely more important to be really dialed in on road bikes, as you spend a lot more time in a static position, where with MTB, you're moving around a lot more, and terrain and style come into play quite a bit. You definitely want to make an effort to get things pretty close to 'right' though.

Also, for an mtb, suspension tuning is hugely important IME.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't think fit's less important on a mountain bike. Just different.

I'm sometimes surprised at how controversial a subject this can be. I mean, none of us want our bikes to hurt or injure us, right?

I may sounds cynical here, but there are a lot of people who stand to make money getting us to pay them to fit our bikes for us. And it's to their benefit to make bike fit seem more difficult, more deterministic, and more scientific than it is.

But really, it comes down to two questions.

Does my bike hurt me?

Does my bike setup make it harder for me to handle my bike than it needs to be?

And if the answer to both is, "no," I'm not sure how much more dialed it's possible to get a bike. That's also why there are so many frame sizes - a lot of us can get the right answer to at least one of those questions on a bunch of different sizes, but nailing both at once is a little harder, IME. I struggled with a too-big road bike for years, and ended up settling on a compromise that handled well and only hurt me a little. Going to something smaller has been a huge improvement.

mtbr member
    I can say fit matters alot of a mtb. I thought I had my fit right based on KOPS etc. Then I hit a demo day and first bike I wanted to ride "my" size was out, next size up was available. 21"....thought "this outta be interesting". Had the seat lowered, adjusted angle/posistion of controls and away I went. Felt long on the reach but seat position (0 offset dropper) etc felt great. Switched to longer stem, brought my seat forward as much as I could on offset post and now.... OMG this is what ive been missing!!!! Lower back pain almost non existent, and all around improvements on my riding. Drastic improvements. And I can enjoy riding a size that apparently is too small technically and it fits great now.

Fit for road is much more simple as ur seated most of the time, but have to be much more precise. Mtb more complicated as u have to fit for more movement (as said) but it matters just as much.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hey D,
    Yeah called the minute you gave me their info, nothing yet shot them an email too. Nothing yet but staying optimistic. Super excited to see your restoration pics. If you do just let me know we can work something out but if not I've been a graphic designer for a a few years I'm sure I could make something very close and have my buddy print. Just rather get something legitament then a repo.
    Hi B.,

Oh man, Chuck is up to his 'ol ways of playing hard to get, I cautioned you that this might happen. Keep the faith that he comes through in the end. I ended up just calling him all the time, he got back to me to make me go away (that method was suggested to me by someone else who had previous dealings with Chuck).

I did finally get the photos taking of my mango/black WildHare, I posted a number of shots and the build specs too. Also, I included a progress photo of my Screamin' Demon that's almost done. Hopefully this link works, it's over on the original thread you contacted me about:
    Anyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare? - Page 2- Mtbr.com

New to mtbr, first post-sm2000wildhare_side.jpgNew to mtbr, first post-sm2000wildhare_front.jpg

Let me know how things work out with Chuck and those decals. Oh yeah, whatever you do make sure you save that headtube "PW" badge, Chuck doesn't have any left. That is to say... unless he found some in his collection of treasures.

Enjoy the great weather we're having!

-D-

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Haha defiantly I have an eastern havoc on its way. I'm 5'11" and that hunch over doesn't help at all. Thanks a lot
    Don't think of it as a big complicated process, think of it like fitting a shoe - unless you have no other option, try it and see if it completely doesn't work, and ideally actually try a range of sizes to see what little differences determine what setup actually fits for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

New to mtbr, first post

Yea I'm totally into it. I'll talk to a few shops that might do it in my area. There's always room for improvement when it comes to comfort and what works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

New to mtbr, first post

Little update: got my new stem, got a new rear tire, started the process of a steeping up rear to disc brakes, sanded down and painted the frame due to all the scratches and scrapes. Went to my lbs and got the bike adjusted to me and now the rides and way easier and trails are easier to maneuver too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Does that thing have a stock rear disc mount?
    If not, I might have second thoughts of doing any sort of aftermarket mods to put one on. Frames that suddenly get a lot of forces applied to them in a way they weren't designed can be pretty likely to break IME (say this when mfgers started throwing on rear disc mounts as kind of an afterthought when discs first started becoming more popular - cracked chainstays weren't uncommon).
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

New to mtbr, first post

Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Does that thing have a stock rear disc mount?
    If not, I might have second thoughts of doing any sort of aftermarket mods to put one on. Frames that suddenly get a lot of forces applied to them in a way they weren't designed can be pretty likely to break IME (say this when mfgers started throwing on rear disc mounts as kind of an afterthought when discs first started becoming more popular - cracked chainstays weren't uncommon).
    Yea it has 22mm rear mounts. So I got a 22mm to 51mm adapter appreciate the concern because I'd defiantly be skeptical if it didn't.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yea it has 22mm rear mounts. So I got a 22mm to 51mm adapter appreciate the concern because I'd defiantly be skeptical if it didn't.

You'll be rippin' up the trails soon enough, disc brakes front and rear, and no worries about brake pads rubbing the rims!

From one proud Psycle Werks owner to another... welcome to the family! Please keep the photos and updates coming, thanks!

Peace,

-D-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast