1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

New to MTBR and to biking

Hello all, my name is Avinesh Prasad, I am new to the forum and to biking period. I wanted to introduce myself and I figured while I am at it if I can't get a little bit of advice. I am in the market for a mountain bike, I will use it mainly on road and for daily exercise but on the weekends I plan on hitting some off road trails. I went to the local bike shop (Don's Bike Shop Rialto) and I was very pleased with the info and quality of service I received. I put a down on lay away a GT Aggressor 1.0 after looking at quite a few bikes and I am pretty excited because I can't wait until I get to start riding. I started doing some research and even though I like the Aggressor (total is $500) I was wondering if I might be able to go a little better for lets say another $50? I know nothing about bikes, all your input is appreciated. *EDIT* I forgot to mention I am 6' 300lbs. the frame for the aggressor is an xl

mtbr member
    May 2013
    After some research and review readings it turns out that I will most likely just stick with the aggressor. Plenty of information here, it is awesome.