1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: new to mtbing

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

new to mtbing

i am a small girl just getting into mountain biking largely due to my boyfriends interest in the sport, but have gotten very excited since starting to look at bikes. I am 5'2 and small framed.

I am not looking to spend too much money because I am not sure how I will enjoy the sport once I get out there.

I have been test riding a few bikes and wanted to know your opinion on the bikes.

Trek Marlin 29er
    Cannondale Trail 5
    Trek 4300
    Specialized Myka

do you have any other opinions that I should consider?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've been helping my wife look for a bike for the same reasons. She's 5'2" with a 28" inseam. I saw the Myka and liked it but she's not tried it out yet.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

mtbr member
    I would have to say that I would go with the Specialized Myka. I bought a used one for my girlfriend on mtbr a little while ago and she loves it. Honestly I didn't want to spend a ton of money if she was not going to get into it. She gives it a 4.5. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I own the Myka 29er, I love it so far and would recommend it to anybody. I have a small frame and I am 5'4. I have no regrets buying it and its a wonderful bike. Would like to do a few upgrades on it eventually but need to save some money.

mtbr member
    Those are all good options. The one to get is the one that fits best. You may want to bring your BF to help confirm fit or have the salespeople at the bike store make sure it's right for you. But take your time and make sure it's a good fit.

Here's some more info on what a proper fitting bike entails:

Technique: Perfect Mountain Bike Fit - BikeRadar
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    subbed...

my wife is looking and she is small.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The fork is important. Suntour X series cannot go offroad. It begins to pogo.
    For trail riding you need a fork that can be set for your weight and has adjustable rebound dampening. An air fork or changeable spring in a coil with rebound dampening. Just like a ride around the parking lot isn't going to tell you if you like this, it can't show much about the fork. Ride a Scott Scale Elite (950 for 13) in small. Have them set the fork pressure to your weight. A couple extra pounds of negative air. Tires should be 25lbs. Look for bumps, curbs, in and out of ditches. Test riding an Expert or Pro would give you more useful information.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have been trying to find reviews on the Suntour Raidon forks.
    I cant find much.

Do you know if they suck like the X series?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    does anyone have any insight on the cannondale trail 5?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Probably not. They have air and rebound adjustable dampening, adjustable travel. Weigh 4.4lbs.Comparable to a RS Recon.

mtbr member
    Looks like a few Trail 5 write ups (with/without susp fork) on MTBR. And some on REI.

Cannondale Trail SL 29er 5 29er Hardtail Reviews

Cannondale Trail 5 Bike - 2012 at REI.com
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i got my wife the cannondale about 2 years ago. she likes it. when choosing a bike for me there were a few shops local to me. besides the bike, the next most important thing is customer service. it was the attention i received, questions answered, measuring me, a crash course on how to ride and what's what made it easy for me to choose. this comes into play where one shop pushes one brand vs. another.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=eb1888;9587419]The fork is important. Suntour X series cannot go offroad. It begins to pogo.

Hi eb1888 - This is the fork that comes with my Motobecane, are you saying is not good? (It should arrive this week)

Longer Travel SR Suntour SF12-XCT-V4-DS-26-100mm
    NOTE: Fork is different from pics of yellow bikes. Spec is same as MatteBlack bikes; SR Suntour SF12-XCT-V4-DS-26-100mm

Anyone? Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i bought an old 2001 trek bruiser for a female friend of mine, she really likes it. its old but in mint shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Suntour fork is replaceable, No rebound dampening. No compression dampening adjustment.
    Rebound Damping adjuster N/A Think of your car with bad shocks.
    I'd look for a used or takeoff Reba dual air, a Manitou Tower Pro or a White Brothers all he way back to BW1.0 or Magic. 05-06.
    For a new MT Pro
    Manitou Tower Pro Absolute+ 29er Federgabel Modell 2012 - BIKE-COMPONENTS.DE
    Get some Racing ralph performance tires with it
    Manitou TOWER PRO 29 100MM WHITE

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So is there anyone that knows anything about that Trek Marlin?

I am looking in to getting in to this sport and saw this bike at my local bike shop here in Dallas. I like the way it looks but thats as far as my knowledge goes. I am not well versed yet in the hardware to tell if its good for the 620 price they are asking for it or if its complete trash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ^.^

-Sam

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Marlin has a Suntour X fork. It is good for bike paths, dirt and forest roads. Bike Radar has called it "punishing offroad". because it does not have rebound dampening adjustability. It will bounce you when hitting multiple bumps. You can ride it, but at a lower speed to maintain control. Usually entry level brakes aren't up to that.

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    My GF is 5'2 and just got a kona mina 16". This bike is $1150 and may be more than you want to spend but it's a fabulous bike and better specd than the other bikes in its class. It also has one of most gorgeous dark orange paint jobs I've seen on mtn bike. This thing is very high quality.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well I think I have narrowed it down to either the Marlin or the Airborne Guardian. I was wondering if anyone could give a quick rundown of the hardware and which one would be best for a complete an utter novice like myself. I am looking for a bike that I can essentially grow in to and keep around for a long time.

2013 Trek Marlin - 620 +Tax at LBS

Airborne Guardian - 599 + Shipping ONLINE

Thank you,

-Sam

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    This is what I decided on for me and my wife. We are gonna dork out and get the same bike.

ok..cant post link for a while...lol..

Felt has a new 2013 29er , the Nine 60. Its sweet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Hippie View Post
    I have been trying to find reviews on the Suntour Raidon forks.
    I cant find much.

Do you know if they suck like the X series?
    Welp...the bike I was looking at dropped the Raidon for the 2013 model.

things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm.

Going with a bike thats got a Rock Shox fork.

They seem to be much less suspect that Suntour.

I dunno, I'm a noob....but the forums aren't kind to suntour.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolSoldier View Post
    Well I think I have narrowed it down to either the Marlin or the Airborne Guardian. I was wondering if anyone could give a quick rundown of the hardware and which one would be best for a complete an utter novice like myself. I am looking for a bike that I can essentially grow in to and keep around for a long time.

2013 Trek Marlin - 620 +Tax at LBS

Airborne Guardian - 599 + Shipping ONLINE

Thank you,

-Sam
    The Airborne Guardian has higher end components, a much better fork, and hydraulic brakes instead of mechanical.

Serenity now!
    I have a Myka Expert 29er (hardtail) which is great quality and a huge step up from my old clearance rack bike. I love it and I've been having a blast riding it. I am not a small girl=5'11".

However, I have to tell you I am shopping around for a high end used 26" full suspension bike. The 29er is a bit awkward on tight turns and I think I will be more confident on technical trails on a full sus.

What kind of trails do you think you will ride the most? If you're looking at carriage trails or fairly straight smooth single track with some climbing, a hard tail is great. 29" wheels may or may not feel comfortable to a small girl (opinions seem to vary). If you are looking at rocky techy trails with tight turns and steeper downhills, you might consider going 26" full suspension.

Ultimately, don't worry. If you love MTB you will be looking to upgrade in a year or two anyway, and you will have a better idea of what you want when that time comes. So your current choices look good to me. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idon'tlikepink View Post
    i am a small girl just getting into mountain biking largely due to my boyfriends interest in the sport, but have gotten very excited since starting to look at bikes. I am 5'2 and small framed.

I am not looking to spend too much money because I am not sure how I will enjoy the sport once I get out there.

I have been test riding a few bikes and wanted to know your opinion on the bikes.

Trek Marlin 29er
    Cannondale Trail 5
    Trek 4300
    Specialized Myka

do you have any other opinions that I should consider?
    From a riding perspetive the current "Bike" magazine has nice article on women getting started in mountain biking.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.