1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

New to MTB Is this ok to start?

Hey I'm new to MTB and want something for the road and light trails can anyone tell me if this would be ok. Now I know its from Zellers, but i can get it discounted for more than its selling for.

26" Rock DS 24-speed Aluminum Bike
    Price: $299.97
    Save: $400

· Front disc brakes.
    · Alloy rims.
    · Shimano™ front/rear derailleur and shifter.
    While quantities last. No rain checks.
    Was 699.97
    (Canadian Prices)

I'm not sure on how much I'll get into riding so I thought this would be good to start.

Thanks for any input.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Seany B
    Hey I'm new to MTB and want something for the road and light trails can anyone tell me if this would be ok. Now I know its from Zellers, but i can get it discounted for more than its selling for.

26" Rock DS 24-speed Aluminum Bike
    Price: $299.97
    Save: $400

· Front disc brakes.
    · Alloy rims.
    · Shimano™ front/rear derailleur and shifter.
    While quantities last. No rain checks.
    Was 699.97
    (Canadian Prices)

I'm not sure on how much I'll get into riding so I thought this would be good to start.

Thanks for any input.
    Hi, I don't know about Zeller bikes, do you have any links?

Have you also checked at other bikes at the same price range?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    yeah i couldnt get the link right to the page to work though.
    go here http://hbc.flyerservices.com/noncach...m.asp?C=k9j6x4
    click on Zellers then goto page 45.

thx.

Bike to the Bone...
    Hi Sean... you live in Peterborough? I spent about 4 summers at Lakefield.... pretty nice place!

Ok, here is my opinion. I wouldn't buy the bike. I don't really much know it, but I think that for the kind of terrain over there a hardtail will be better than a low end full suspension. I don't know which brands sells in Canada, but check Konas, Trek, Cannondale, Specialized.

Check if you could test ride them, so you can get a feel of fit. Fit is very important, and probably it's something that buying from a general store is hard to do. A LBS can help you get a bike fitter for your size. If a bike is too big or small for you, it's very likely that you won't enjoy riding the bike, and probably hurting something because of fit. I would prefer a good fitting low end bike than an ill fitting high end bike.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't pay too much weight for disc brakes for now. You'll likely be assaulted with technical names and numbers, which are pretty intimidating, specially if you don't know anything about bikes.

Here's a pretty brief run of components:

drivetrain - there are two mayor players here: Shimano and Sram... both have different level of components, and both are pretty good... or pretty bad.

fork- there are several brands here, at a begginer level, probably RST is a mayor player, at higher levels, here are the mayor players: Fox, Marzocchi, Rock Shox, Manitou, Maveric, White Bros.

brakes- two mayor categories: V-brakes and disc brakes. I guess for a low budget, you'll likely find better V-Brakes than low end disc brakes.

wheelset- hmmm... you can find wheelset at 100 to 900 bucks. There are some factory wheelsets (they come complete), or more likely, you'll find custom wheelsets.

Stem, bars, seatpost, saddle-don't pay too much attention here, for now. Well, you'll likely want to chech some saddles, but it's more a personal preferences than a quality issue.

What would be more important?

Besides fit, this would be my ranking order:
    1.Fork
    2.Wheelset
    3.drivetrain and brakes
    4.rest of the bike

Hope it helps

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks a lot that was really helpful.
    Lakefield is nice for sure I'm up there all the time for work or just the scenery.
    Thx again.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ok im considering this bike now.

http://www.silentsports.com/store/st...&prodcode=2730

Is there anything wrong with Norco and will all these comp. be ok for starting out?

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Seany B
    ok im considering this bike now.

http://www.silentsports.com/store/st...&prodcode=2730

Is there anything wrong with Norco and will all these comp. be ok for starting out?
    I have two friends with Norco bikes and I think they're pretty nice bikes. One of them uses his Norco for pretty hard riding, so I guess it's pretty tough..

I think the components are pretty nice, I've seen the Giant in that shop, and probably the Norco is a pretty well value bike.

mtbr member
    That line of Norco bikes is their "adventure" series I believe... for a beginner rider with no intention of freeride-style maneuvers (jumps, drops, etc.), you will do perfectly fine.

Great for riding around town and some light cross-country/trail-riding.

There's no app for this.

Sean, stay outta Zellers

and read the 1st sticky post in this forum about Dept. store bikes.

2nd, Silent Sports makes good stuff, and some of thier own bikes are good value.

3rd, stick to a good store and buy brand names like rzozaya1969 says.

Good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    May 2006
    http://www.ibexbikes.com

Good entry level bikes, outstanding service and support.