1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

New question here. New to mtb, new to kingdom trails

Hi all,

First post. Glad I found this place. Quick question for those of you willing to help out a new(er) rider. If you're in the Northeast Region, even better.

FYI, my mountain biking background is minimal, although I have done it before (nothing very technical). Iím headed up with some close family to Kingdom Trails in VT to ride in mid-October and wanted to see if my bike would be up to the challenge, or if I should rent. I have a Trek 3500 - from what I can tell itís your basic, run of the mill, entry level mountain bike. I mostly use it for commuting and the occasional town-and-country ride with family or friends. I keep it in pretty good condition. Iíve never used it for mtn biking (the broad sense of the word). For Kingdom Trails - will I be OK with this rig? I figure Iím not going to get into anything crazy. See basic specs here: Trek Bicycle .

My next question - what should I be wearing? Iíd rather not drop unnecessary $ on gear that I wonít use again until next spring. Shorts? Shirt? Shoes? Again, I donít ride all that much (which I hope to change).

Thanks for your help!

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: New to mtb, new to kingdom trails

Welcome!

You'll have better luck if you post this in the Vermont forum.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)

mtbr member
    I had a sneaky feeling I might - thanks. Posting over there...

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by bear99 View Post
    Hi all,

First post. Glad I found this place. Quick question for those of you willing to help out a new(er) rider. If you're in the Northeast Region, even better.

FYI, my mountain biking background is minimal, although I have done it before (nothing very technical). Iím headed up with some close family to Kingdom Trails in VT to ride in mid-October and wanted to see if my bike would be up to the challenge, or if I should rent. I have a Trek 3500 - from what I can tell itís your basic, run of the mill, entry level mountain bike. I mostly use it for commuting and the occasional town-and-country ride with family or friends. I keep it in pretty good condition. Iíve never used it for mtn biking (the broad sense of the word). For Kingdom Trails - will I be OK with this rig? I figure Iím not going to get into anything crazy. See basic specs here: Trek Bicycle .

My next question - what should I be wearing? Iíd rather not drop unnecessary $ on gear that I wonít use again until next spring. Shorts? Shirt? Shoes? Again, I donít ride all that much (which I hope to change).

Thanks for your help!
    that bike will be fine on the Darling Hill trails. you won't enjoy the Burke Mountain trails as they are a bit rougher and best experienced on a full suspension bike.

as for gear...I suggest you get some quality stuff. Kingdom Trails will make you want to do nothing but ride every day for the rest of your life. Buy well now and you won't have to buy again for next season. The good news is you probably have some of this stuff already.

East Burke in mid-October? Highs around 50, 60 if you are really lucky, overnight dips into the 20s/30s. For riding: I suggest a long sleeve base layer and a light, wool top layer. Pack a lightweight rain jacket in your backpack. Riding tights would be nice, but they aren't cheap. You'll get by with some heavier baggies w/chamois. Chilly knees but that goes away in 10 minutes. Get some decent wool riding socks and you will be really happy.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin