1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

New to MTB, first time over the bars! (with pics!)

So quick intro, I'm new to MTBing, just got a 2010 Specialized Stumpy Comp.

Been doing this fireroad near my house, nice steady incline for about 4miles then a steeper ascent for about 1mile. Me and a friend finally reached the top of the steeper climb (with plenty of stops lol). We decided to descend down the popular single track and figured we'd just walk the hard parts.

At the very bottom of the single track it opens up to a double and its a pretty fast descent with some fast turns.

Tried to scrub off speed in a straight line before one of the turns, felt like I didn't take enough off and was headed over the cliff side so I hit the brakes mid-turn ... got all squirrelly and at the start of the next straight away I couldn't pull it together and BAM...

Here's the top of my helmet, I'm very glad I was wearing my full face ...

Here's my forearm ...

My shoulder ...

And finally my front rim ...

replacing the front rim is costing me $190 bleh

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Ouch!

Love the graphics on the helmet... and the foliage stuck on the visor!

Did anybody see you biff? I hate crashing when there's no one watching.
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yikes! Don't bite off more than you can chew! I'm glad you didn't break anything.

Hail Satin!
    Haha awesome dude. Maybe you should invest in some elbow and knee pads. And don't use that helmet again. They are good or one crash and one crash only. Just date it. Sign it. And hang it on the wall. Getting to the top of the hill without barfing seemed to be your goal. Now getting to the bottom seems to be the new one. And take that wheel to a bike shop. They should be able to fix it. Have fun and keep that helmet on.
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Didn't have pads because as chewymilk99 said, reaching the top without barfing was the original goal. We shouldve just ridden down the fireroad side. I bring the full face because I work in an ICU and I've seen too many head injuries to know better.

Got bike back from shop today. Replaced front rim with DT Swiss xr400, went tubeless, got new saddle (specialized phenom team 143), and new helmet arrives tomorrow (deviant II).

Then it's time to get back up on the saddle!